Amazon redesigning site for tablets, report says
Online retailer focusing on mobile users with site overhaul, says Wall Street Journal
Computerworld - Online retailer Amazon.com is reportedly redesigning its Web site, which sells everything from books to electronics and handbags, with a focus on supporting tablet computer users.
According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Amazon is eliminating some buttons and enlarging the search box to better meet the needs of mobile users.
The redesigned site is only available to a small group of Amazon users at this point, the report said.
Amazon.com did not respond to a request for comment on the redesign.
Industry analysts say the redesign makes sense on two fronts.
"It makes sense," said Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research. "Mobile-friendly [interfaces] look more current. More shopping will be done from PCs than from tablets for quite a while, but it makes sense to go in this direction."
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, agreed that it makes sense for Amazon to enhance the site with mobile users in mind. "People want to use Amazon wherever they are whenever they want," he said.
Gottheil said a redesign would be a good tie-in with a new tablet offering, and added that support for other tablets like Apple's iPad is crucial.
"Amazon's mobile audience will be iPads primarily, even if the Amazon tablet is very successful," Gottheil said. "IPads have the installed base. But you want your new product to show off your online store in the best possible light."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts