Amazon redesigning site for tablets, report says
Online retailer focusing on mobile users with site overhaul, says Wall Street Journal
Computerworld - Online retailer Amazon.com is reportedly redesigning its Web site, which sells everything from books to electronics and handbags, with a focus on supporting tablet computer users.
According to a report in the Wall Street Journal, Amazon is eliminating some buttons and enlarging the search box to better meet the needs of mobile users.
The redesigned site is only available to a small group of Amazon users at this point, the report said.
Amazon.com did not respond to a request for comment on the redesign.
Industry analysts say the redesign makes sense on two fronts.
"It makes sense," said Ezra Gottheil, an analyst with Technology Business Research. "Mobile-friendly [interfaces] look more current. More shopping will be done from PCs than from tablets for quite a while, but it makes sense to go in this direction."
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, agreed that it makes sense for Amazon to enhance the site with mobile users in mind. "People want to use Amazon wherever they are whenever they want," he said.
Gottheil said a redesign would be a good tie-in with a new tablet offering, and added that support for other tablets like Apple's iPad is crucial.
"Amazon's mobile audience will be iPads primarily, even if the Amazon tablet is very successful," Gottheil said. "IPads have the installed base. But you want your new product to show off your online store in the best possible light."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts