Is Transcend planning a 2TB USB thumb drive?
No word as to when it'll be available (See video below)
Computerworld - According to a video posed on YouTube, memory card maker Transcend and Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) have teamed up to produce a USB 3.0 flash drive with up to 2TB of capacity.
The drive, described as being as long as a human thumb and slightly thicker than a penny, was videotaped at the Display Taiwan 2011 technology show. The model on display had only 16GB, but the display states that it's capable of scaling to 2TB.
"If you're wondering who exactly is ITRI and why have they created an ultrathin 2TB USB, they are Taiwan's government-sponsored innovation lab, whose sole purpose is to help Taiwanese companies innovate. And since Taiwan is the home of hardware, it stands to reason they'd have some cool gadgets lying around," the YouTube poster states.
Neither Taiwan-based Transcend nor the ITRI immediately responded to Computerworld's requests for information about the drive technology.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Logicalis eBook: SAP HANA: The Need for Speed Without timely business insights, organizations today can suffer logistical, manufacturing, and even financial disaster in a matter of minutes
- Neustar 2014 DDoS Attacks and Impact Report For the third consecutive year, Neustar surveyed hundreds of companies on distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks. The survey reveals evidence that the...
- Acxiom Case Study This case study, which focuses on Acxiom, explores how the company was able to secure employee data, reduce migration costs and boost productivity...
- Windows® XP Migration: Protect and Secure Critical Data With the end of the Microsoft Windows XP operating system's lifecycle on April 8, 2014, businesses are faced with the decision to migrate...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts