Is Transcend planning a 2TB USB thumb drive?
No word as to when it'll be available (See video below)
Computerworld - According to a video posed on YouTube, memory card maker Transcend and Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) have teamed up to produce a USB 3.0 flash drive with up to 2TB of capacity.
The drive, described as being as long as a human thumb and slightly thicker than a penny, was videotaped at the Display Taiwan 2011 technology show. The model on display had only 16GB, but the display states that it's capable of scaling to 2TB.
"If you're wondering who exactly is ITRI and why have they created an ultrathin 2TB USB, they are Taiwan's government-sponsored innovation lab, whose sole purpose is to help Taiwanese companies innovate. And since Taiwan is the home of hardware, it stands to reason they'd have some cool gadgets lying around," the YouTube poster states.
Neither Taiwan-based Transcend nor the ITRI immediately responded to Computerworld's requests for information about the drive technology.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Top Five Reasons Why Customers Deploy a Flash 1st Strategy on EMC VNX Storage Read why with a FLASH 1st strategy, customers don't need to compromise between performance and TCO.
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Addressing the Broken State of Backup with a New Category of Disk-Based Backup Solutions Today, IT organizations are faced with a number of challenges when managing backup processes, including the need for faster backup, restore, tape copy,...
- Optimizing Approaches to Enterprise Backup and Recovery IT organizations are faced with ensuring that backups occur in the shortest amount of time and are not operationally disruptive as well as...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts