Is Transcend planning a 2TB USB thumb drive?
No word as to when it'll be available (See video below)
Computerworld - According to a video posed on YouTube, memory card maker Transcend and Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) have teamed up to produce a USB 3.0 flash drive with up to 2TB of capacity.
The drive, described as being as long as a human thumb and slightly thicker than a penny, was videotaped at the Display Taiwan 2011 technology show. The model on display had only 16GB, but the display states that it's capable of scaling to 2TB.
"If you're wondering who exactly is ITRI and why have they created an ultrathin 2TB USB, they are Taiwan's government-sponsored innovation lab, whose sole purpose is to help Taiwanese companies innovate. And since Taiwan is the home of hardware, it stands to reason they'd have some cool gadgets lying around," the YouTube poster states.
Neither Taiwan-based Transcend nor the ITRI immediately responded to Computerworld's requests for information about the drive technology.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian, or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Storage Hardware in Computerworld's Storage Hardware Topic Center.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Red Hat Enterprise Linux - The Original Cloud Operating System
Linux adoption is growing against a number of measures, such as the
number of supercomputers that run Linux and the size of the contributing...
- OpenStack Hype vs. Reality: CIO Quick Pulse Open-source architecture can enable IT departments to build infrastructure-as-a-service (IaaS) clouds running on standard hardware.
- Building a Bridge to the Next Generation Data Center Selecting a widely adopted operating system is a foundational component of a standardization strategy.
- OpenStack and Red Hat: IDC White paper Most OpenStack deployments are by public cloud providers that are early adopters of technology and use OpenStack in a do-it-yourself deployment and support...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Storage Hardware White Papers | Webcasts