HP to make more TouchPads
Responding to demand, HP will make a limited number of TouchPads through Oct. 31
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard said it will manufacture more TouchPads in response to "stunning" demand following the company's decision to discontinue the tablets.
"Despite announcing an end to manufacturing webOS hardware, we have decided to produce one last run of TouchPads to meet unfulfilled demand," Mark Budgell, an HP spokesman, wrote in a blog post. The site appears to be overloaded and is currently unavailable, but the post has been reposted elsewhere online.
The newly manufactured tablets will go on sale in a few weeks. He said a "limited" number would be made but couldn't say exactly how many. "We can't promise we'll have enough for everyone," he wrote.
The company will produce the tablets during its fourth fiscal quarter, which ends Oct. 31.
He did not say if the tablets would continue to be sold at a drastically reduced price or if they would also be sold through retailers.
When the company announced that it was discontinuing the TouchPad on Aug. 18, it dropped the price of the 16GB version to $99 and the 32GB version to $149. The 16GB TouchPad initially retailed for $499.
Within days, HP had sold out of the tablets as had many retailers. Some of the demand may have come from people who were interested in porting Android to the tablets. While webOS, the software that comes with the TouchPad, has been praised, some buyers might worry that HP might stop supporting it. But porting Android to the $99 tablet makes it one of the best tablet deals around.
- Server makers rush their Heartbleed patches
- HP to pay $108M in bribery, corruption case
- Windows XP expiration couldn't save PC market in Q1
- HP touts speedy Z Turbo Drive PCI-Express SSDs
- HP says never mind about June 3D printer announcement
- After 30 years, HP brings multifunction inkjet printing to the office
- Newest bug bounty touts $10K rewards, appeals for help in finding Flash flaws
- HP has solved two big problems with 3D printing
- Ex-Autonomy chief Lynch slams HP, CEO Whitman ahead of shareholder meeting
- Tech industry needs more diverse workforce
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!