Isis carriers pump in $100M for mobile wallet plan
Isis venture still on track for NFC-ready smartphone rollout in 2012
Computerworld - The three wireless carriers in the Isis mobile-payment joint venture are investing more than $100 million into the project, according to a published report.
A spokesman for Isis said he could not confirm the report, which was first made by the Bloomberg news service, citing people with knowledge of the project without naming them. Spokesmen for the three carriers -- AT&T, Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile USA -- would not comment or could not be reached to comment.
Isis is set to launch pilot projects in Salt Lake City and Austin, Texas, in 2012 using near-field communication smartphones to make payments for goods and services. In July, Isis announced it is working with the four largest credit card providers, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express, on the project. All four are expected to license payment security applications to the smartphones that the Isis carriers will sell.
Visa last May announced its own initiative as well, which could move forward separately from its affiliation with Isis.
Analysts have characterized the mobile wallet revolution as slow to materialize in the U.S., compared to Japan and South Korea, partly because of competition between financial services companies. Any successful NFC mobile wallet initiative will require a critical mass of NFC-ready phones, willing retailers and cooperative banks that would back the credit extended to the phone users, said analyst Bob Egan of The Sepharim Group.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 3 Keys to Secure BYOD Deployment The new Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) environment presents challenges for IT managers and business leaders. This paper discusses how IT managers can address those challenges,...
- Empowering Your Mobile Workers A modern mobile IT strategy is no longer an option, it is an absolute necessity. Here's how some of the nation's most progressive...
- Developing a Winning Mobile Strategy: Playing Offense vs Defense Don't lose time and money with a "throw an app against a wall to see if sticks" approach to mobile. You need a...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed in recent years, and it continues to escalate.
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.