Five good reasons to give Mandriva Linux 2011 a try
With an attractive KDE desktop and more newbie-friendly features, this free OS could be just the ticket for your business.
PC World - Canonical's Ubuntu may frequently dominate the headlines in the Linux world, but the fact remains that it's just one of many popular desktop distributions of the free and open-source operating system.
Not long ago I wrote about Linux Mint -- which is currently the second most popular contender, according to DistroWatch -- but another important player is Mandriva, which now holds the No. 10 spot on DistroWatch's list, just behind Puppy Linux.
Following the release of its second and final beta version back in April, a major new release of Mandriva just debuted on Sunday. Dubbed "Hydrogen," Mandriva 2011 is now available for download from the project's website.
If you're looking for an alternative to the restrictive Mac vs. Windows world, here are five reasons this latest free Mandriva release is worth checking out.
1. The KDE Plasma Desktop
Whereas Mandriva used to include multiple desktop environments and window managers -- including GNOME and Xfce -- the project has now decided to focus fully on the KDE Plasma Desktop as its sole officially supported desktop environment.
"This concentration of our efforts allowed us to make Mandriva Desktop the best KDE-based distro in the free software industry," the software's developers explain.
As I've noted before, KDE is a very popular and attractive desktop option, and many people prefer it over any other. Those who really want to use Mandriva with something else, however, will still be able to do so via unofficial packages or distributions prepared by community members.
2. A New Graphics Theme
Mandriva's old "Galaxy" theme has now been replaced with ROSA, an attractive alternative in which blue figures prominently. Included in ROSA are themes for each component of the distro as well as an original icon pack and some new wallpapers.
3. Flexible and Friendly
Mandriva 2011's new "SimpleWelcome" kickoff screen is designed to be simpler and more welcoming for newcomers to the software while its TimeFrame utility lets you find files by date, without having to remember where you saved them.
The StackFolder applet offers quick access to frequently used folders, while the RocketBar brings new flexibility to the standard KDE panel. MandrivaSync, meanwhile, is Mandriva's cloud service, much like Ubuntu One; users get 2GB of storage for free.
4. An Awesome Arsenal
Packed into Mandriva 2011 is much of the software you're likely to need. Besides the KDE display manager, KDM, there's the Dolphin file manager, the business-ready LibreOffice 3.4.2 productivity suite, the Choqok microblogging client, and Mozilla's Firefox 5.0.1 browser and Thunderbird 5.0 email software.
Shotwell has replaced the DigiKam photo manager, and there's PiTiVi for video editing and Clementine for music. The brand-new Mandriva Package Manager destined for eventual inclusion, meanwhile, is now available from the repository for testing purposes.
- Maintain Less. Create More. Spend less on maintenance and spend more time creating with Red Hat Enterprise Linux. Read on to learn how Red Hat can help...
- Flying High on the Use of Red Hat Enterprise Linux Flybe was one of the 21 companies that were interviewed for quantitative results on their operations as part of an IDC ROI analysis....
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Linux and Unix White Papers | Webcasts