Verizon won't offer the Galaxy S II
But Samsung Stratosphere smartphones seem to be in the works
Computerworld - Verizon won't offer the Samsung Galaxy S II smartphone, which is being introduced by other major U.S. carriers next week and could be a top contender against the coming iPhone 5.
A Verizon spokesman confirmed in a telephone interview Friday that Verizon won't sell the Galaxy S II, noting that Verizon already has an extensive portfolio of Android smartphones that includes the Samsung Droid Charge.
It has also been rumored that Verizon will start carrying the Motorola's Droid Bionic next month. The Bionic, which would operate on Verizon's 4G LTE network, would be similar to the Galaxy S II, which has sold well in markets where it has already been introduced in Asia, Europe and Australia.
The Galaxy S II runs on the Android 2.3 mobile operating system and features a dual-core processor and a 4.3-in. display.
The Galaxy S II will be a "powerful option" to the coming iPhone 5, said IDC analyst Ramon Llamas. Llamas predicted the iPhone 5 will still do very well, even though Steve Jobs has stepped down as Apple's CEO.
"But put the GSII side by side with the iPhone 5, and there will be a lot of good reasons to consider both and select either," Ramon said.
Verizon has a wide portfolio of dual-core smartphones and several that run on its 4G LTE network. A leaked Verizon document released on the IGN website in early August indicated Verizon would be offering several new phones, including the Samsung Stratosphere. Some bloggers say the Stratosphere is actually Verizon's version of the Galaxy S II, although Verizon won't comment on that.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!