German court upholds injunction on Samsung tablet imports
The ruling bans tablet sales in Germany
IDG News Service - A German court has upheld a preliminary injunction requested by Apple, preventing Samsung Electronics from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet PC in Germany.
Apple claims the design of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is too similar to that of its iPad 2, the design of which is registered with the European Union's Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market.
The court initially granted Apple an injunction banning imports of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 across the E.U., but later reduced its scope to cover only Germany.
A final ruling in the case will come on Sept. 9, the court said at the end of a hearing in Dusseldorf Thursday.
Much of Thursday's hearing revolved around the accuracy of evidence supplied by Apple, with Samsung accusing Apple of deliberately distorting images of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 so that it looked more like the iPad 2. The devices have different proportions, with the Tab's screen taller and narrower, but at least one image submitted by Apple in evidence portrayed the devices as having almost the same proportions, a report by Webwereld.nl revealed earlier this month.
The two companies are locked in legal battles in a number of jurisdictions: on Wednesday, a Dutch court banned imports of three Samsung smartphones after finding that they breached an Apple patent.
(With reporting from Andreas Udo de Haes, in Dusseldorf.)
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Gartner 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software See why CommVault was positioned as the #1 leader in Gartner's 2013 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup/Recovery software for the 3rd year in...
- Forrester Report: CommVault is a Leader in Enterprise Backup and Recovery In this report, Forrester takes a deep dive into the evaluation criteria, how CommVault is positioned and the features and functionality that make...
- System and Data Protection, Recovery and Availability This white paper describes how ARCserve works and the benefits it can provide IT environments of all sizes.
- Simplifying Data Protection, Reducing Risk of Data Loss and System Downtime This white paper outlines what IT organizations should look for in a data protection solution, including simplicity and ease of deployment, comprehensive protection,...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts