German court upholds injunction on Samsung tablet imports
The ruling bans tablet sales in Germany
IDG News Service - A German court has upheld a preliminary injunction requested by Apple, preventing Samsung Electronics from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet PC in Germany.
Apple claims the design of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is too similar to that of its iPad 2, the design of which is registered with the European Union's Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market.
The court initially granted Apple an injunction banning imports of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 across the E.U., but later reduced its scope to cover only Germany.
A final ruling in the case will come on Sept. 9, the court said at the end of a hearing in Dusseldorf Thursday.
Much of Thursday's hearing revolved around the accuracy of evidence supplied by Apple, with Samsung accusing Apple of deliberately distorting images of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 so that it looked more like the iPad 2. The devices have different proportions, with the Tab's screen taller and narrower, but at least one image submitted by Apple in evidence portrayed the devices as having almost the same proportions, a report by Webwereld.nl revealed earlier this month.
The two companies are locked in legal battles in a number of jurisdictions: on Wednesday, a Dutch court banned imports of three Samsung smartphones after finding that they breached an Apple patent.
(With reporting from Andreas Udo de Haes, in Dusseldorf.)
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Hadoop for Dummies Today, organizations in every industry are being showered with imposing quantities of new information. Along with traditional sources, many more data channels and...
- The Top Five Ways to Get Started with Big Data Despite the increased focus on big data over the past few years, most organizations are still talking about what big data is rather...
- Data Warehouse Augmentation: The Queryable Data Store While organizations have, to date, been busy exploring and experimenting, they are now beginning to focus on using big data technologies to solve...
- The IBM Big Data Platform IBM is unique in having developed an enterprise class big data platform that allows you to address the full spectrum of big data...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Endpoint Data Management: Protecting the Perimeter of the Internet of Things Not surprisingly, "Internet of Things" (IoT) and Big Data present new challenges AND opportunities for enterprise IT. Teams need to harness, secure and... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts