German court upholds injunction on Samsung tablet imports
The ruling bans tablet sales in Germany
IDG News Service - A German court has upheld a preliminary injunction requested by Apple, preventing Samsung Electronics from selling its Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet PC in Germany.
Apple claims the design of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is too similar to that of its iPad 2, the design of which is registered with the European Union's Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market.
The court initially granted Apple an injunction banning imports of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 across the E.U., but later reduced its scope to cover only Germany.
A final ruling in the case will come on Sept. 9, the court said at the end of a hearing in Dusseldorf Thursday.
Much of Thursday's hearing revolved around the accuracy of evidence supplied by Apple, with Samsung accusing Apple of deliberately distorting images of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 so that it looked more like the iPad 2. The devices have different proportions, with the Tab's screen taller and narrower, but at least one image submitted by Apple in evidence portrayed the devices as having almost the same proportions, a report by Webwereld.nl revealed earlier this month.
The two companies are locked in legal battles in a number of jurisdictions: on Wednesday, a Dutch court banned imports of three Samsung smartphones after finding that they breached an Apple patent.
(With reporting from Andreas Udo de Haes, in Dusseldorf.)
Peter Sayer covers open source software, European intellectual property legislation and general technology breaking news for IDG News Service. Send comments and news tips to Peter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology IBM is a leader in Gartner Inc's Magic Quadrant for Data Masking Technology. Read the full report to learn about IBM.
- 5 Ways Dropbox for Business Keeps Your Data Protected Protecting your data isn't a feature on a checklist, something to be tacked on as an afterthought. Download here to find out how...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!