iPad will reign supreme through 2013
Greater China -- the term Apple uses to describe the People's Republic, Hong Kong and Taiwan -- generated 13% of Apple's total revenues last quarter.
Alexander mentioned educational sales of the iPad several times as a factor in the tablet's strong sales. "There's a huge interest in tablets in education, and the favorite by far is the iPad," she said.
Apple has historically been a major player in the educational market, and has leveraged that to push the iPad into schools, both K-12 and college. "They laid this groundwork for years," Alexander said.
But the iPad is not invulnerable. At some point -- specifically, 2014 -- the iPad will be surpassed by rival tablets, according to iSuppli.
Looking that far into the future is tricky, Alexander acknowledged, because of unknowns, including how Microsoft's Windows 8 -- and its successor -- will do on tablets.
"Lower price points will play a part," she said, referring to expectations that other tablet makers, particularly those that rely on Google's Android operating system, will eventually be able to beat the iPad on price. "But there's the 'market diversity' factor too, when a whole lot of competitors are in the market. Some will have success, some won't, but it will expand the market."
The rise of Android-based smartphones, which in toto now outsell the iPhone, is "the perfect parallel" to how iSuppli sees the tablet market developing, said Alexander.
"And Apple's patent litigation is serving to slow or complicate competitors' entry into some key regional markets," Alexander observed. "With Apple lapping its competitors, many of whom are still struggling to get out of the starting gate, this remains a one-horse race."
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, on Google+ or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Macintosh in Computerworld's Macintosh Topic Center.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Macintosh White Papers | Webcasts