Report: Sprint will get the iPhone 5 in October
AT&T and Verizon will also offer the phone around the same time, according to the Wall Street Journal
IDG News Service - Sprint will for the first time sell an iPhone, starting with the next generation of the phone, in mid-October, the Wall Street Journal reported on Tuesday.
Sprint has struggled to keep up with its larger rivals, namely AT&T and Verizon, both of which now sell the popular iPhone 4. Being one of the first to offer the new version of the phone could give it a much needed boost.
Citing people familiar with the matter, the Wall Street Journal said that Verizon and AT&T will also start selling the new phones, which people are referring to as the iPhone 5, around the same time.
Sprint may also offer the iPhone 4 around the same time, the paper reported.
Rumors about the iPhone 5 have been rampant. Some suggest that the phone will be dual mode so that a Sprint customer, for instance, could use the phone while traveling in Europe.
Many people had expected the phone to become available in September.
Apple, which did not reply to a request for comment about the report, has not revealed any details of the phone or launch details. Sprint declined to comment.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!