Twitter, Facebook light up after East Coast quake
People turn to social networks as earthquake jolts D.C area, New York, New England
Computerworld - Just moments after a 5.8 magnitude earthquake hit the East Coast on Tuesday afternoon, Twitter and Facebook lit up with the news.
The quake struck central Virginia at 1:51 p.m. Eastern time today and rocked the Washington area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The quake was felt as far away as New Jersey, New York and New England. It also disrupted cell phone service and closed two nuclear reactors, and many bridges and tunnels in East Coast cities
Various news services reported that parts of the Pentagon, the White House and the U.S. Capitol were evacuated as a precaution. The federal building in Newark, N.J., was also evacuated.
People were quick to turn to their favorite social networking sites to report the quake, with many tweeting or posting while the shaking was still going on.
A reporter in Maine read about the quake on Twitter before actually feeling the shock waves reach that far north.
"When I felt the house shake I ran outside to yell at whoever was tramping across my roof. Typical Brooklyn reaction. #earthquake," tweeted Computerworld feature editor Barbara Krasnoff.
And someone identified as zephoria tweeted, "Gotta love Twitter. The building shakes. Everyone immediately gets on Twitter to confirm that they're not hallucinating." While brianstelter, wrote, "Quake was so strong at my family home, 40 min north of D.C., that my mom rushed outside, thinking something had hit the house."
And CBS News reporter Norah O'Donnell tweeted, "#SecretService rushing people out of WH and into Lafayette Square. Most people calm. bit.ly/q8PdlX #quake"
People have been quick to take to social networking sites after other earthquakes, and after the tsunami in Japan and even during anti-government uprisings.
However, today's flash tweeting and Facebook postings are a reminder of what an intrinsic part of our lives the sites have become, said Zeus Kerravala, an analyst at Yankee Group.
"It again supports the theory that social networks are the fastest way to distribute information. They have become the 'send to' of life," said Kerravala. "It's become the de facto communication tool for anyone looking to reach all of their contacts because it's simple, fast and now ubiquitous. I don't need to put in an address in a "to" field. I just type it and hit enter."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
- Now is 'good timing' for Twitter's IPO
- Facebook to test new mobile payment service
- Facebook embedded posts good for business
- Facebook gets its mobile game on
- Who said that? Social network launched for anonymous users
- The social network wars are over. The winner: email!
- State social media privacy laws a mixed bag for businesses
- Facebook rethinks its 'hackathons' with an eye toward mobile
- How companies should navigate social media in a crisis
- Wall Street pushes for exemptions in state social-media monitoring laws
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Face Time Anytime Real-time communications facilitates team collaboration from nearly anywhere in the world. With facts and figures you can use to justify an investment
- Now is the time to implement a video conference solution Video conferencing is getting a lot of buzz lately due to the recent cost decrease, making it tangible for many law firms. It's...
- Video drives engagement Achieving maximum results means building a solid platform and network infrastructure. As digital age unfolds, it's clear that the ability to communicate effectively...
Enhance Your Virtualization Infrastructure With IBM and Vmware
Date: Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Virtualization technology is now expanding beyond the server compute elements to encompass networking and storage...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Web Apps White Papers |