HP's PC division, by the (profit and growth) numbers
Computerworld - Why would a company give up its market-leading position in a major hardware segment -- especially if that business is still profitable? That was one question a number of customers were asking after Hewlett-Packard (HP) said it's looking to sell its Personal Systems Group and get out of the PC business -- despite being the top vendor of personal computers worldwide.
One answer? Profitability. The hardware business is by far HP's least profitable segment, with an operating margin of 5.9%. Excluding financial services (at 9.4%), every other HP business segment's margin was in double digits last quarter. Its software division rang in at 19.4% profits from operations, more than triple Personal Systems. Given those numbers, is it surprising that HP's management finds the software business more appealing?
Another reason: slower growth. Tablets, netbooks and other mobile devices are expected to eat into PC sales. And, unlike in the personal-computer space, HP doesn't have much penetration in tablets and smartphones (or didn't until the $99 TouchPad fire sale ignited a wave of buying. But those are highly unprofitable sales.) HP's desktop and notebook sales each dropped 4% last quarter compared with a year ago. In contrast, software sales soared 20%.
Sharon Machlis is online managing editor at Computerworld. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow her on Twitter @sharon000, on Facebook, on Google+ or by subscribing to her RSS feeds:
articles | blogs .
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts