HP's PC division, by the (profit and growth) numbers
Computerworld - Why would a company give up its market-leading position in a major hardware segment -- especially if that business is still profitable? That was one question a number of customers were asking after Hewlett-Packard (HP) said it's looking to sell its Personal Systems Group and get out of the PC business -- despite being the top vendor of personal computers worldwide.
One answer? Profitability. The hardware business is by far HP's least profitable segment, with an operating margin of 5.9%. Excluding financial services (at 9.4%), every other HP business segment's margin was in double digits last quarter. Its software division rang in at 19.4% profits from operations, more than triple Personal Systems. Given those numbers, is it surprising that HP's management finds the software business more appealing?
Another reason: slower growth. Tablets, netbooks and other mobile devices are expected to eat into PC sales. And, unlike in the personal-computer space, HP doesn't have much penetration in tablets and smartphones (or didn't until the $99 TouchPad fire sale ignited a wave of buying. But those are highly unprofitable sales.) HP's desktop and notebook sales each dropped 4% last quarter compared with a year ago. In contrast, software sales soared 20%.
Sharon Machlis is online managing editor at Computerworld. Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org. You can follow her on Twitter @sharon000, on Facebook, on Google+ or by subscribing to her RSS feeds:
articles | blogs .
Read more about IT Industry in Computerworld's IT Industry Topic Center.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts