China overtakes US in PC sales earlier than expected
Sales and shipments of PCs in China outweighed those in the US in Q2, but the US will be back in the lead in Q4, says IDC
IDG News Service - China overtook the U.S. in both PC sales and shipments in the second quarter, according to research firm IDC.
China's PC sales reached $11.9 billion, while U.S. PC sales fell behind to $11.7 billion. For shipments, China saw a 14.3% increase to 18.5 million units year-over-year. But in the U.S., PC shipments dropped by 4.9% to 17.7 million units.
It's the first time China has overtaken the U.S. in shipments and sales. "We weren't expecting this to happen in this quarter," said Bryan Ma, an associate vice president with IDC. Previous projections had expected China to take the lead some time in 2012.
However, China saw more enterprise PC purchases than expected from the public sector in the second quarter, while U.S. PC purchases were dragged down by economic conditions and tablet sales, Ma said.
U.S. PC sales are expected to pick up and surpass China in the fourth quarter because of the U.S. holiday buying season -- but during the full year of 2012 and onward, China will retake the position as the biggest PC market for both sales and shipments, Ma added.
Worldwide, PC shipments have grown at a slower pace because of softening consumer demand and rising interest in tablets, according to IDC. China, however, continues to see more rapid growth, partly simulated by Chinese government infrastructure projects and consumer outreach programs to replace older PCs, Ma said.
The country's growing market bodes well for Chinese PC maker Lenovo, which is the fastest growing company among the top five PC vendors, according to IDC. Lenovo is the largest PC maker in China with a 31.7% share of the market.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!