China overtakes US in PC sales earlier than expected
Sales and shipments of PCs in China outweighed those in the US in Q2, but the US will be back in the lead in Q4, says IDC
IDG News Service - China overtook the U.S. in both PC sales and shipments in the second quarter, according to research firm IDC.
China's PC sales reached $11.9 billion, while U.S. PC sales fell behind to $11.7 billion. For shipments, China saw a 14.3% increase to 18.5 million units year-over-year. But in the U.S., PC shipments dropped by 4.9% to 17.7 million units.
It's the first time China has overtaken the U.S. in shipments and sales. "We weren't expecting this to happen in this quarter," said Bryan Ma, an associate vice president with IDC. Previous projections had expected China to take the lead some time in 2012.
However, China saw more enterprise PC purchases than expected from the public sector in the second quarter, while U.S. PC purchases were dragged down by economic conditions and tablet sales, Ma said.
U.S. PC sales are expected to pick up and surpass China in the fourth quarter because of the U.S. holiday buying season -- but during the full year of 2012 and onward, China will retake the position as the biggest PC market for both sales and shipments, Ma added.
Worldwide, PC shipments have grown at a slower pace because of softening consumer demand and rising interest in tablets, according to IDC. China, however, continues to see more rapid growth, partly simulated by Chinese government infrastructure projects and consumer outreach programs to replace older PCs, Ma said.
The country's growing market bodes well for Chinese PC maker Lenovo, which is the fastest growing company among the top five PC vendors, according to IDC. Lenovo is the largest PC maker in China with a 31.7% share of the market.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Client Management Tools The client management tool market is maturing and evolving to adapt to consumerization, desktop virtualization, and an ongoing need to improve efficiency.
- Audit Ready and Asset Optimized: The Solid Promise of an Intelligent Software Asset Management Solution In this paper Frost & Sullivan examines the benefits of enterprise-grade Software Asset Management solutions, and how these solutions serve as the convergence...
- Pragmatic Endpoint Management: Empowering an SMB Workforce in the Age of Mobility Lacking the time for proper training and education, SMB administrators often resort to taking shortcuts to keep their environment running.This paper discusses the...
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Application Security The market for application security testing is changing rapidly. Technology trends, such as mobile applications, advanced Web applications and dynamic languages, are forcing...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts