HP to acquire info management software firm Autonomy
With the $10 billion buy, HP hopes to boost its enterprise software line
IDG News Service - After half a day of frenzied speculation from the IT industry, Hewlett-Packard has confirmed that it is acquiring information management software vendor Autonomy, for $42.11 per share, or about $10.3 billion.
The acquisition is expected to close by the end of 2011.
Founded in 1996, Autonomy offers a broad line of information management software, including enterprise search, content management, data analysis and governance software. It serves more than 25,000 organizations, including BAE Systems, Boeing, Citigroup, Coca Cola, FedEx, Ford, the New York Stock Exchange, Shell, Tesco, T-Mobile, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
Software companies such as Citrix, Oracle, Sybase, Symantec, Tibco as well as HP itself all incorporate Autonomy software into their own packaged offerings.
The acquisition will "accelerate" HP's enterprise software business, said HP President and CEO Leo Apotheker in a quarterly results conference call. Traditionally, HP's enterprise services and hardware sales have dwarfed its software sales.
For fiscal 2010, services generated almost $35 billion in net revenue and enterprise hardware generated $18.5 billion, while software brought in $3.5 billion. Autonomy reported revenue of $870 million for 2010.
Autonomy will operate as a business unit within HP and will be led by current Autonomy CEO Mike Lynch. The company employs 2,700 workers worldwide.
HP disclosed the Autonomy purchase as one of a number of reorganizational changes accompanying its third-quarter 2011 results. The company also stated it would spin off its personal computing unit and cease making webOS-based tablets and phones.
HP has also appointed John Visentin as executive vice president of HP Enterprise Services. He will report directly to Apotheker. Visentin will take the place of Tom Iannotti, who is retiring. Formerly, Visentin led HP Enterprise Services for the Americas.
- Disk storage sales gets year-end boost
- Bug bounty operator presses vendors to pick up patching pace
- Server market revenue down 4.4% in Q4
- Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: Windows 7 lives!
- HP unveils first 64-bit Windows 8.1 tablets with Intel Atom
- HP brings 'couch potato' model to Pavilion line
- Microsoft tries to jumpstart cheap Windows devices with license price cut
- HP reverses decline in PC sales, claims broad progress in quarter
- HP eyes acquisitions and divestitures, CEO Whitman says
- Intel's new Xeon server chip pushes Itanium closer to end
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- The Total Economic Impact Of IBM Datacap Taskmaster In April 2012, IBM commissioned Forrester Consulting to examine the total economic impact (TEI) and potential ROI that enterprises might realize by deploying...
- Winning the Paper Wars - capture the content and mobilize the process troops In this report, AIIM looks at the reasons for this poor progress, measure the adoption of digital mailrooms, chart the progress of mobile...
- Next Generation SAM Managing software assets and licenses is a time-consuming job that can drain IT resources. When this is not done properly, a company might...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel All Content/Document Management White Papers | Webcasts