Mozilla to drop Firefox version number, sparks backlash
Will drop identifying label from 'About Firefox' dialog box
Computerworld - Mozilla's decision to strip the version number from Firefox's "About" dialog box has been greeted by a nearly unanimous thumbs down, according to a lengthy, and at times heated, debate on a company discussion list.
The pushback was the second in as many months against Mozilla, which found itself the center of a late-June controversy over its apparent lack of interest in enterprise customers.
Asa Dotzler, a director of Firefox, explained why Mozilla was dumping the version number.
"We're moving to a more Web-like convention where it's simply not important what version you're using as long as it's the latest version," said Dotzler on a thread in the mozilla.dev.usability discussion group on Sunday. "We have a goal to make version numbers irrelevant to our consumer audience."
The topic was obviously of interest to a users: As of mid-day Wednesday, the thread contained over 240 messages, an enormous number for a Mozilla discussion group.
For the most part, users aren't happy with the change, with many of them basing their complaints on the fact that for decades virtually all software has identified its version number in an About box.
Others contested Dotzler's point that everything was moving to a "more Web-like convention," noting that unlike a Web-based application such as Gmail or Facebook, Firefox is stored locally on each user's computer and as such should comply with traditional practices, including displaying the version in About.
At times, the debate was heated.
"Removing the version number from the About window is one of the most asinine proposals for Firefox in a year filled with asinine Firefox decisions," said someone identified only as "EnviroChem" on the thread Monday. "Are you intentionally trying to kill off Firefox? With the decisions being made lately, this certainly seems to be the case."
Dotzler's responses to questions also grated on some people, who accused him, and Mozilla, of not listening to user feedback and making what seemed to be an arbitrary decision.
"Because we should all listen doesn't mean we should put all of our plans or features up for a vote," Dotzler said in a message Tuesday.
The discussion also spilled onto Bugzilla, the Mozilla database where developers log changes and bug fixes to the browser.
- Workarounds to purge search bar from Firefox's new tab page are available
- Mozilla ships Firefox 31, adds search to new tab page
- Microsoft's IE steps back from the brink of irrelevance
- Firefox falters, falls to record low in overall browser share
- Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page
- Google unseats Microsoft as the U.S. browser powerhouse
- Safari, Chrome push to mask URLs
- Chrome on Windows champs at the 64-bit
- Google pulls trigger, cripples some Chrome add-ons
- Microsoft shoots to shorten Internet Explorer's long tail
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Live Webcast 5 Steps to Assuring Quality of Experience In order to align monitoring and management practices with the true demands of the business, IT professionals must expand beyond traditional comfort zones...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...