Chase.com goes down, but only for Firefox users
The problem comes about one year after a three-day outage
Computerworld - Firefox users may have had trouble accessing JPMorgan Chase's website chase.com today when the bank experienced problems with an outdated security certificate.
According to a Chase spokesman, the Firefox certificate was updated on the bank's servers in about 45 minutes, resolving the issue.
Almost one year ago, Chase experienced a more severe outage that shut out millions of customers from its online banking site for three days.
That earlier outage stemmed from a failure related to Chase's user authentication database.
Today's outage involved a lapsed security certificate. Website servers present certificates to a customer's browsers to verify identities. This certificate, which has information such as the address of the site, is verified by a third party that is trusted by a user's computer.
A certificate that is outdated or lapsed would appear as having been revoked by the issuing server.
While short-lived, today's outage was still a major issue, according to market research firm Celent.
"No bank wants its customers to be presented with the message, "you may be communicating with an attacker," Celent analyst Jacob Jegher wrote in a blog.
Jegher said if the issue hadn't been resolved quickly, Chase could have ended up paying out reimbursements to customers unable to pay bills on time.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Financial IT in Computerworld's Financial IT Topic Center.
Flashback to the late 1960s, when this pilot fish has just gotten a job in a bank's data processing department -- and one day his new boss tells him to grab a disk pack and run for a cab.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance
- If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- SIP Migration: Addressing CIOs' Concerns
- Recent data from IDG Research shows that many IT executives are counting on SIP to help them meet employee efficiency and customer experience...
- SBIC: Transforming Information Security
- This report combines perspectives on technologies with experience in strategy to help security teams navigate complex decisions regarding technology deployments while maximizing investments.
- InfoTech: Cloud File Sharing
- Organizations are increasingly turning to cloud file sharing solutions to meet end-user's needs for a lightweight and effective collaboration tool. In this report,...
- Rethinking Backup and Recovery
- As enterprises continue to transform their data centers, and virtualization plays an increasing role in their IT infrastructures, the way data is backed... All Financial IT White Papers
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed in recent years, and it continues to escalate.
- PST Archiving: What is it and How is it Done? Learn more about what PST data is, the risks relating to it, and how the new PST Archiving feature in the Simpana 10...
- HP DevOps KnowledgeVault This interactive resource focuses on the evolution taking place in the world of software development, specifically the Agile development framework, and the gap...
- Introducing Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery From VMware Cost-effectively protect your business applications in the case of a local disaster or disruptive event. VMware is excited to introduce vCloud Hybrid Service...
- All Financial IT Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.