Chrome improves anti-malware blocking score by 340%
But Microsoft's IE9 stymies seven times more dangerous URLs
Computerworld - Google's Chrome blocked four times more malicious sites and malware than a year ago, but Firefox 4 was much less effective at warning users of danger than Mozilla's browser last year, according to a report released Monday.
Both were thrashed by Microsoft's Internet Explorer 9 (IE9), however, which easily retained its crown, said NSS Labs in a reprise of a 2010 study of browser anti-malware technologies.
Even with Chrome's improved detection -- it blocked 13.2% of the malware links that NSS threw at it during a 14-day run ending June 10 -- IE9 beat it with a score seven-and-a-half times higher.
According to NSS' test results, IE9 displayed a warning message for 96% of the malicious URLs, with the program's Application Reputation feature stymying an additional 3.2% for a total blocking score of 99.2%. Last year, IE9 posted a 99% score.
Application Reputation, or "App Rep," uses a file's hash -- which identifies the file contents -- and its digital certificate to determine whether it's a known application with an established reputation. For instance, "firefox.exe" would be labeled a legitimate download with a known history and reputation. If App Rep's algorithm ranks the file as unknown -- perhaps because the hash value hasn't been seen before -- IE9 throws up a warning when users try to run or save the file.
App Rep is a part of the overall SmartScreen technology included with IE9, the browser that runs only on Windows 7 and Vista.
NSS did not retest IE8, the newest Microsoft browser that works with Windows XP, still the most widely used edition of the operating system. Last year when it put IE8 through the paces, the 2009 browser blocked 90% of the sites that tried to download attack code.
Hackers spread "social-engineered malware" -- NSS Labs' term -- by enticing users to visit malicious sites that then dupe them into downloading attack code. Such downloads often pose as an update to popular software, an innocuous video codec or a seemingly-useful antivirus program.
The tests did not include sites that attack browsers without any user interaction through drive-by attacks that exploit vulnerabilities in Windows or its applications.
Rick Moy, president of NSS Labs, said that Microsoft's SmartScreen technology remains the browser anti-malware technology to beat, pointing out that it easily trumped Google's rival Safe Browsing API, which is used by Chrome, Firefox and Apple's Safari.
Google maintains a blacklist of suspected or known malicious sites, then serves that list via the Safe Browsing API to its own and other browsers.
The troika that uses the API fared poorly in NSS' tests.
Chrome was the best of the three, blocking 13.2%, up 10.2 percentage points from last year, a 340% improvement. Firefox 4, however, displayed a warning on only 7.6% of the URLs, a drop of 11.4 points from Firefox 3.6. (NSS Labs ran its tests before Mozilla shipped Firefox 5.)
- Workarounds to purge search bar from Firefox's new tab page are available
- Mozilla ships Firefox 31, adds search to new tab page
- Microsoft's IE steps back from the brink of irrelevance
- Firefox falters, falls to record low in overall browser share
- Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page
- Google unseats Microsoft as the U.S. browser powerhouse
- Safari, Chrome push to mask URLs
- Chrome on Windows champs at the 64-bit
- Google pulls trigger, cripples some Chrome add-ons
- Microsoft shoots to shorten Internet Explorer's long tail
- Single-Vendor Security Ecosystems Offer Concrete Benefits Over Point Solutions IT security decision-makers from companies with 100 to 5,000 employees evaluates the current endpoint security solution market based on Forrester's own market data,...
- Case Study: Intuit Turns to Self-Service IT Intuit empowered its users to resolve their own IT issues with a consumer-like experience to free IT to focus on more strategic initiatives....
- Automation for a Better Tomorrow Check out the five most common annoyances facing enterprise IT service desks today, and how automation can resolve all of them. Download the...
- Beyond the Enterprise App Store Leverage proactive, secure and automated IT Service delivery to move beyond the traditional App Store and empower your users. Read the white paper...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!