The center, located in an office building near San Francisco's waterfront, includes an isolated testbed network that replicates Verizon's LTE (Long-Term Evolution) network. Developers can also find current and pre-commercial devices to test their apps on, and meet with Verizon engineers who are based there to help them, the company said.
The AIC complements Verizon's LTE Innovation Center, opened earlier this year in Waltham, Massachusetts, where the carrier works with developers of devices for the LTE network. In time, the two centers will collaborate on joint projects to drive forward new uses of the high-speed network, said David Small, vice president and chief technical officer of Verizon Wireless.
Though Verizon had rolled out new networks before, the introduction of the high-capacity LTE network posed new technical challenges in populating the network with devices and applications, Small said.
"We recognized from the beginning that the potential for innovation is bigger than Verizon alone," Small said.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!