IDG News Service - Verizon Wireless will introduce a new version of its VCast Apps store to developers at its Verizon Developer Conference in September, improving the experience for both app creators and consumers, an executive said Wednesday.
VCast Apps is Verizon's own app storefront on handsets. The carrier populates the store with apps that have been tested for security, usability and power and bandwidth efficiency. It works with developers to help them meet those standards and create better apps, said Kyle Malady, Verizon's vice president of network and technology. He described the new app-store effort in an interview at the opening of Verizon's Application Innovation Center (AIC) in San Francisco, where the carrier plans to work with developers and connect them with potential hardware and software partners.
"The first VCast Apps store missed the mark a little bit," Malady said. For one thing, consumers found it slow to browse the store and download apps. Developers also ran into delays, he said.
"We had a hard time ingesting a lot of the apps into the system in an efficient way," Malady said, because the process involved a lot of time-consuming manual effort. Also, the carrier has been more stringent than it needed to be in the past. "We're not looking for perfection," he said.
Verizon has now addressed both issues, he said.
"It's going to be a much better system for developers to use," Malady said. The goal now is to get apps onto the store within two weeks. The company has already started talking to developers about the new store, and it should be ready around the time of the developer conference, which is taking place in Las Vegas on Sept. 13-14, he said.
Verizon sees its app store as one among a plethora of platforms, including the iTunes App Store, the Android Market and others. What makes it unique is the ability to buy an app and pay for it on a Verizon phone bill, as well as the assurance that what's offered is certified to work well on Verizon's network and the devices the carrier sells.
Though Verizon still acts as a gatekeeper that can determine which apps can be sold in the store, it's more open than the carrier "walled gardens" of the past, Malady said. Verizon welcomes developers to work with it, using its APIs (application programming interfaces) and taking advantage of Verizon engineers' expertise with the carrier's network and devices that work on it, he said.
This is what Verizon hopes to do at the AIC, along with matching developers with partners that can solve software or hardware challenges they may be facing in creating their apps and getting them onto the VCast Apps store, Malady said.
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!