Sprint to launch cloud services this fall
On-demand capabilities will compete with Verizon's, AT&T's cloud offerings
Computerworld - Sprint will offer cloud services to all sizes of businesses in the fourth quarter, a Sprint executive said on Wednesday.
A Sprint spokeswoman said more details would be announced at a later date, but confirmed the executive's comments in an interview published Wednesday.
Paget Alves, head of Sprint business markets, said in the interview that Sprint's offerings to businesses will include selling its network infrastructure as a service available on-demand.
Sprint will also offer software, security apps and Internet hosting.
Verizon and AT&T offer similar services, and Alves was said that the carriers are "in a unique position because our business is centered around the cloud."
Alves also said that Sprint customers' CIOs are interested in having such a service.
Paget said the on-demand model will allow a business to purchase more network capacity or services as the need arises. When not needed, a company can then lower its spending, he noted.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
- Amazon hiring 'top secret' IT staff as it fights for CIA work
- Empire state ends IT empire building
- No, your data isn't secure in the cloud
- Snowden revelations may cost U.S. cloud providers billions, says study
- DHS shifting to cloud, agile development to boost homeland security
- Cloud computing's big debt to NASA
- Coke bottler picks SaaS over SAP
- Inmate data paroled from mainframe
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts