Sprint to launch cloud services this fall
On-demand capabilities will compete with Verizon's, AT&T's cloud offerings
Computerworld - Sprint will offer cloud services to all sizes of businesses in the fourth quarter, a Sprint executive said on Wednesday.
A Sprint spokeswoman said more details would be announced at a later date, but confirmed the executive's comments in an interview published Wednesday.
Paget Alves, head of Sprint business markets, said in the interview that Sprint's offerings to businesses will include selling its network infrastructure as a service available on-demand.
Sprint will also offer software, security apps and Internet hosting.
Verizon and AT&T offer similar services, and Alves was said that the carriers are "in a unique position because our business is centered around the cloud."
Alves also said that Sprint customers' CIOs are interested in having such a service.
Paget said the on-demand model will allow a business to purchase more network capacity or services as the need arises. When not needed, a company can then lower its spending, he noted.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Enterprises increasingly look to the private cloud
- Without the cloud, Microsoft may lose grasp on the enterprise
- How the cloud can make IT shops more innovative
- Business users bypass IT and go rogue to the cloud
- HP looks to ease enterprise IT cloud fears
- Afraid of the cloud? How to handle your fears
- 5 reasons why Google can catch Amazon in the cloud
- Public cloud market ready for 'hypergrowth' period
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!