Sprint to launch cloud services this fall
On-demand capabilities will compete with Verizon's, AT&T's cloud offerings
Computerworld - Sprint will offer cloud services to all sizes of businesses in the fourth quarter, a Sprint executive said on Wednesday.
A Sprint spokeswoman said more details would be announced at a later date, but confirmed the executive's comments in an interview published Wednesday.
Paget Alves, head of Sprint business markets, said in the interview that Sprint's offerings to businesses will include selling its network infrastructure as a service available on-demand.
Sprint will also offer software, security apps and Internet hosting.
Verizon and AT&T offer similar services, and Alves was said that the carriers are "in a unique position because our business is centered around the cloud."
Alves also said that Sprint customers' CIOs are interested in having such a service.
Paget said the on-demand model will allow a business to purchase more network capacity or services as the need arises. When not needed, a company can then lower its spending, he noted.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Small businesses seek to take off with the cloud
- VC investors hot for the cloud, mobile and robots
- Wyoming to close data centers in cloud shift
- Peer pressure! Business pushing the cloud on enterprise IT
- Enterprises increasingly look to the private cloud
- Without the cloud, Microsoft may lose grasp on the enterprise
- How the cloud can make IT shops more innovative
- Business users bypass IT and go rogue to the cloud
- HP looks to ease enterprise IT cloud fears
- Afraid of the cloud? How to handle your fears
Read more about Cloud Computing in Computerworld's Cloud Computing Topic Center.
- Trends in Pop-up Retail: Innovative Merchandising Driven by Flexible, Dependable Mobile Connectivity This paper outlines the challenges and obstacles to successful implementation, and discusses existing, rapid-deployment solutions for connecting pop-up locations with mission-critical retail applications...
- Evaluating File Sync and Share Solutions: 12 Questions to Ask about Security File sync and share can increase productivity, but how do you pick a solution that works for you? Download to learn some important...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- IBM Global SaaS Study Video This video introduces the IBM Global SaaS study conducted by the Center for Applied Insights. The study reveals how companies are using Software...
- Brunswick Moves Messaging and Collaboration to the IBM cloud Gerry Orten, Jr, Electronic Messaging Manager at Brunswick talks about why Brunswick moved to the IBM cloud. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts