IDG News Service - Citrix has acquired RingCube, a vendor of software for personalizing desktops within virtual desktop infrastructures (VDI), the companies announced Wednesday. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
RingCube's software "will make it easier for IT to give each and every user a personalized desktop," said John Fanelli, Citrix vice president of enterprise desktop and applications. Citrix plans to pair RingCube's technology with its own VDI offering, XenDesktop.
RingCube's software will allow users to choose wallpapers, define their printers, install department applications and create their own areas for storing data.
VDI deployments virtualize desktop operating systems, so they can be stored on a server and streamed to the user when needed. Typically, in order for a user to customize his or her VDI-based desktop, the organization will need to store an image of the entire operating system and all of the user's data. In order to save storage space, many operations, such as help call centers, instead use a single copy of an operating system for everyone, depriving users of personalization.
RingCube's technology saves all the customization data in a separate file, which can be paired with the operating system when it is requested. This approach can greatly reduce the amount of storage needed, since duplicates of the OS are not required, Fanelli explained.
Fanelli did not disclose how RingCube's technology will be packaged with, or integrated into, XenDesktop. Citrix has sold more than 7 million licenses of XenDesktop, including sales to 50 customers with 10,000 seats or more.
Based in Mountain View, Calif., RingCube launched its VDI customization product in May and has 20 patent applications under consideration, Fanelli said. RingCube's personnel will be assigned to the enterprise desktop and application division of Citrix.
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Virtually Delivered High Performance 3D Graphics "A picture is worth a thousand words." That old phrase is as true today as it ever was. Pictures (i.e., those with heavy...
- Considerations For Effective Software License Management For many reasons, software license management has become a critical issue for many IT organizations and enterprise's alike. With many licensing options, hurdles...
- Vblock™ Specialized System for High Performance Databases Learn how Vblock™ Specialized Systems have been designed to deliver high performance in the millions of IOPS - with millisecond response times.
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Virtual Desktop Must-haves: Cost-effectiveness, Scalability and Security Employees today expect to take their work anywhere and on any device. This BYOD mindset poses a dilemma for organizations that want to... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts