Apple also filed suit against Motorola Xoom in Europe
IDG News Service - Apple isn't just going after the Samsung Galaxy Tab in Europe, it's also attacking the Motorola Xoom.
Apple's lawsuit, which was filed in Germany and led to Tuesday's injunction barring sales of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe, makes reference to a separate complaint against the Motorola Xoom.
Patent expert Florian Mueller found the original lawsuit, filed in Dusseldorf, Germany, and pointed out the Motorola action.
The reference in the suit says that Apple has also filed a complaint over the design of the Motorola Xoom, which runs the Android operating system. But it's unclear if Apple is seeking an injunction that would immediately prevent Motorola from importing the tablets into Europe.
Motorola said the suit is in response to a complaint it filed against Apple in April, charging patent infringement. "Apple responded by filing its own patent infringement actions against Motorola in Germany including design patent infringement claims," the company said in a statement. "Motorola has reviewed Apple's claims and believe they have no merit. We intend to vigorously defend Motorola's own product designs."
Apple did not reply to requests for comment.
Apple and Motorola are also battling it out in U.S. courts over their competing phones. They have sued each other in court and the U.S. International Trade Commission is investigating complaints made by both companies.
While Apple dominates the tablet market and is the number-one individual vendor of smartphones, combined sales of Android phones surpass the iPhone. Apple is attacking Android via the tablet lawsuits and is also involved in legal action against other phone makers including HTC and Samsung.
- Phil Schiller up again in next round of Apple-Samsung battle
- Nokia and HTC bury hatchet in patent disputes
- How about them apples: Google and Samsung ink patent deal
- Samsung's Apple damages equal to just 16 days' profit
- Supreme Court to get software patent case
- The latest move to kill bad patents divides tech industry
- Judge refuses to stay Apple-Samsung lawsuit pending patent review
- A huge damage award looms as Apple and Samsung return to court next week
- New patent reform bill targets trolls
- Samsung won't get a retrial in 'overscroll bounce' patent fight with Apple
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts