Amazon launches free Kindle Cloud Reader app for Web browsers
Will initially support Safari and Chrome for instant book reading; others coming
Computerworld - Amazon today introduced the free Kindle Cloud Reader application, which allows users to access Kindle books instantly from a Web browser without needing to download the book first.
The application is available online now for the Safari browser on the iPad or a desktop and on the Chrome browser, and will be available for Internet Explorer, Firefox, the BlackBerry PlayBook browsers and others in coming months, Amazon said in a statement.
Dorothy Nicholls, director of Amazon Kindle, said the cloud reader concept fits into Amazon's effort to allow users to buy a book once and read it everywhere.
The cloud application is based on HTML5 and optimizes the reading device or computer being used. Even though the book can be read instantly, it is still stored locally for offline reading, Amazon said. Bookmarks, notes and highlights are also stored and the reader automatically syncs to a user's personal Kindle library and last page read.
The Kindle Store has more than 950,000 Kindle books, many of them free. Amazon already makes a variety of best-selling Kindle e-reader devices, with the Kindle with Special Offers model starting at $114. Those devices require a download via wireless cellular or Wi-Fi, unlike the Kindle Cloud Reader concept introduced today. However, Kindle books can be read on tablets such as the iPad, iPhones, PCs, Macs, Android phones and BlackBerry devices.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Eye on e-books
- E-reader decline prompts user debate over e-reader vs. tablet
- Last chapter for e-readers?
- Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight: An e-reader for night readers
- Bluefire launches Android-ready e-reader software for independent booksellers
- More Americans own e-readers than tablets, survey finds
- First look: The Kobo eReader Touch Edition
- Amazon: E-books now outsell print books
- Creating an e-book: Tips on formatting and converting your document
- Kindle for the Web demos at Chrome event
- Update: Amazon to demo Kindle for the Web on Tuesday
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- EDI in China: Developing a Strategy for B2B Integration Success IBM solutions for EDI have helped companies across the globe securely connect and build partner communities.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Polycom Virtual Meeting Rooms Video The conference room is the hub for group collaboration. With Polycom, you can extend the productivity and efficiency benefits of face-to-face meetings beyond...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All E-business White Papers | Webcasts