IDG News Service - Expanding the field of complex event process software with another offering, Twitter will release as open source its software for analyzing live large-scale data streams, called Storm.
Twitter acquired the software when it purchased BackType in July. BackType offered a service that analyzed the impact of an organization's Twitter feed, summarizing how often Twitter messages were repeated by others.
Although the software has been compared to Hadoop, Storm is best suited for analyzing live data streams, such as millions of Twitter feeds.
This approach could provide a speedier and more practical alternative to the traditional approach of real time analysis, which can involve storing the data first in a database, data store or data warehouse. Its use is not limited to Twitter, however. Storm could be used to study other forms of unstructured, frequently updated data.
"The beauty of Storm is that it's able to solve such a wide variety of use cases with just a simple set of primitives," said Nathan Marz, in a blog posting announcing the pending release.
The user creates a query, or search term, that will continue to run against an ever-updating stream of data until the query is terminated. Because Storm can be distributed across multiple servers, it is capable of analyzing large amounts of data.
This sort of analysis is sometimes called complex event processing (CEP). Oracle, StreamBase, SAP and other companies also offer CEP software. Unlike most of these products, however, Storm does not have a built-in storage layer, relying instead of external data stores, Marz pointed out.
Twitter will launch the software next month at the Strange Loop conference in St. Louis.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- The New Business Case for Video Conferencing: 7 Real-World Benefits Beyond Cost-Savings This whitepaper provides insight into the value of video conferencing in today's business environment, and how organizations are using visual collaboration to find...
- The Value of IBM InfoSphere BigInsights The IBM® InfoSphere® BigInsights™ software platform helps firms discover and analyze business insights hidden in large volumes of a diverse range of data....
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Unified Communications 101 What's the best way to implement a unified communications solution for your organization? Join independent networking expert, Ed Tittel, as he weighs the... All Business Intelligence/Analytics White Papers | Webcasts