IDG News Service - Facebook has acquired Push Pop Press, a start-up that has developed software for creating highly interactive digital books, for an undisclosed amount.
The social networking company said Tuesday that it isn't planning to get into the digital book business, but some of the ideas and technology behind Push Pop Press will be integrated with Facebook. It did not provide details.
"We're thrilled to confirm that we've acquired Push Pop Press, a startup whose groundbreaking software changes the way people publish and consume digital content," Facebook said in an e-mailed statement.
Co-founded by former Apple employees Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris, Push Pop Press teamed with Melcher Media, a producer of books and digital media, and media company Rodale to offer in April a digital app of "Our Choice", a book by former U.S. vice president Al Gore, on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
The ideas and technology behind Push Pop Press will be integrated with Facebook, giving people even richer ways to share their stories, Matas and Tsinteris said on the website of Push Pop Press. "With millions of people publishing to Facebook each day, we think it's going to be a great home for Push Pop Press," the founders said.
There are no plans to continue publishing new titles or building out Push Pop Press' publishing platform that was in private beta. Gore's Our Choice will however remain available for purchase, and future profits from the book will be donated to The Climate Reality Project chaired by Gore, Push Pop Press said.
"We can't wait for co-founders Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris to get started, and for some of the technology, ideas and inspiration behind Push Pop Press to become part of how millions of people connect and share with each other on Facebook," Facebook said.
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!