IDG News Service - Facebook has acquired Push Pop Press, a start-up that has developed software for creating highly interactive digital books, for an undisclosed amount.
The social networking company said Tuesday that it isn't planning to get into the digital book business, but some of the ideas and technology behind Push Pop Press will be integrated with Facebook. It did not provide details.
"We're thrilled to confirm that we've acquired Push Pop Press, a startup whose groundbreaking software changes the way people publish and consume digital content," Facebook said in an e-mailed statement.
Co-founded by former Apple employees Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris, Push Pop Press teamed with Melcher Media, a producer of books and digital media, and media company Rodale to offer in April a digital app of "Our Choice", a book by former U.S. vice president Al Gore, on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.
The ideas and technology behind Push Pop Press will be integrated with Facebook, giving people even richer ways to share their stories, Matas and Tsinteris said on the website of Push Pop Press. "With millions of people publishing to Facebook each day, we think it's going to be a great home for Push Pop Press," the founders said.
There are no plans to continue publishing new titles or building out Push Pop Press' publishing platform that was in private beta. Gore's Our Choice will however remain available for purchase, and future profits from the book will be donated to The Climate Reality Project chaired by Gore, Push Pop Press said.
"We can't wait for co-founders Mike Matas and Kimon Tsinteris to get started, and for some of the technology, ideas and inspiration behind Push Pop Press to become part of how millions of people connect and share with each other on Facebook," Facebook said.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!