Symantec releases next-gen email archiving software
Enterprise Vault 10 also captures social media interactions
Computerworld - Symantec today announced its next-generation email and content archiving software, Enterprise Vault 10, which now purports to automatically classify email content and metadata and assign the appropriate archiving and retention policy to it.
Enterprise Vault 10 also has the ability to capture and archive social networking interactions for regulatory compliance. Symantec originally announced that capability at the company's Visions 2011 conference in May.
Through the new archiving feature, any posts to an organization's publicly-facing social media outlets -- including blogs, Facebook pages and Twitter feeds -- can be preserved to comply with open-records requests and industry regulations such as the supervision requirements under the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Symantec said it was able to add social media capture through its partnerships with Actiance, CommonDesk, Globanet, Hanzo and Socialware.
Enterprise Vault 10's classification technology can also be used as a filter to speed up the search and review process for electronic discovery and legal hold requests in civil suits, the company said.
Enterprise Vault 10 integrates Symantec's Data Loss Prevention v11 technology, which analyzes Microsoft Exchange email content and metadata in order to determine where and for how long messages should be stored. Depending on the email body, messages can even be flagged by the application to be reviewed for compliance reasons.
"We've increased the scale and performance of Enterprise Vault so our customers can effectively archive and [electronically discover] the millions of records employees are creating by email, social media, SharePoint and file systems," Brian Dye, vice president of product management for Symantec, said in a statement.
Dye said Enterprise Vault 10 reduces regulatory risk without inhibiting the business and productivity benefits of social media and collaboration tools.
Enterprise Vault 10 also includes new data-tiering technology that moves less-frequently accessed information off expensive primary storage and servers to lower-tiered storage, on-premise or to the cloud. It also includes global deduplication, which is aimed at ensuring only one copy of a file or message is stored throughout an enterprise.
And Enterprise Vault 10 can automatically locate and migrate existing .PST and .NSF files into a new archive environment.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Data Storage in Computerworld's Data Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready? Read "Is Your Big Data Solution Production-Ready?" now, and discover best practices and actionable steps to implementing a production-ready big data solution.
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Storage Software White Papers | Webcasts