IDG News Service - Hoping to boost its services offerings, IBM is assigning 200 of its researchers to the help the company manage its customers' business systems with more scientific precision.
The company has created what it calls the Services Innovation Lab, which will look for ways to better use real-time analytics, software automation and other software and services in customer engagements.
"The Services Innovation Lab was put together to drive a much greater impact on our services business," said Mahmoud Naghshineh, the IBM vice president who directs the Lab.
Traditionally, IT services has been a field in which the service provider cuts the cost of an organization's business processes by automating and managing the processes themselves. This initiative will help IBM devise new ways of streamlining customer operations, using research from IBM's portfolio of patents.
The idea behind the partnership between the lab and the services unit is to "automate labor-based processes, make them more repeatable, more predictable, and work on business outcomes with our clients," said Scott Hopkins, an IBM general manager in global technology services
The lab will draw expertise from the its services research program, which IBM has pursued for the past 10 years. Services research is an interdisciplinary pursuit, drawing from expertise in computer science, security, compliance, systems management, mathematics, business optimization, data mining, storage, user interaction and cognitive sciences.
In the years to come, "Services will be driven more by science, and engineering focused," Naghshineh said.
IBM tries offshoring yet more jobs
The lab will not be housed in any physical location, but its researchers will use IBM facilities worldwide. In addition to helping the IBM services unit with customer work, the researchers will also create original software and services for cloud computing, analytics, service delivery automation and mobile enterprise devices.
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- Software Asset Management: Pay Attention or Pay Up There is a wide range of options for managing software assets, from in-house solutions to the cloud to managed services providers. Read this...
- Are You Prepared for a Software Audit? Just the word "audit" is enough to make anyone shiver, and when it comes to a software audit, the reaction is no different....
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Management White Papers | Webcasts