Cloud security fears exaggerated, says federal CIO
Says fear 'amplified' because it 'preserves the status quo'
Computerworld - WASHINGTON - The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is not afraid of the public cloud.
Indeed, this agency is vetting cloud providers to host the public websites of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, as well as the Federal Emergency Management Agency, according to its CIO, Richard Spires. And the department's use of the public cloud providers is likely to grow, he said.
Spires believes public cloud vendors are on a path to handle more sensitive government information, particularly after the U.S. completes development of a planned security certification system for this industry.
"I am a believer that we are going to, over the next few years, really solve a lot of the cybersecurity concerns that we have with cloud-based services," said Spires.
Vivek Kundra, the federal CIO, has made cloud adoption a priority for federal agencies. But the agencies moving in this direction seem enthusiastic about it as well, and not simply because the president's top IT appointee thinks it's a good idea.
But Kundra also believes that cloud security issues have been used to discourage cloud adoption. "I think there's been an exaggeration," Kundra said.
Doubts about cloud security were expressed by some U.S. lawmakers at a recent hearing by the U.S. House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.
"A lot of people are sort of driving this notion of fear around security," Kundra said. "And the reason I think that's been amplified, frankly, is because it preserves the status quo."
Kundra, along with some federal CIOs, was at a forum at the U.S. Capitol Wednesday that he organized along with Sen. Tom Carper (D-Del.), on cloud adoption by the government. Sen. Scott Brown (R-Mass.), was also a speaker. "The federal government, for some crazy reasons, has tried to treat every IT system like it is a national security system," Kundra said.
The federal Recovery.gov site is being hosted on Amazon's EC2 cloud, said Kundra. "That's public data -- there's no reason to build a fortress around that and treat it like it's a CIA or NSA system," he said.
- Cloud security concerns are overblown, experts say
- Cloud computing 2014: Moving to a zero-trust security model
- Amazon hiring 'top secret' IT staff as it fights for CIA work
- Empire state ends IT empire building
- No, your data isn't secure in the cloud
- Snowden revelations may cost U.S. cloud providers billions, says study
- DHS shifting to cloud, agile development to boost homeland security
- Cloud computing's big debt to NASA
- Coke bottler picks SaaS over SAP
- Inmate data paroled from mainframe
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service Modern organizations are under intense pressure to provide accurate, reliable, and speedy financial information to business decision-makers. Furthermore, complying with global standards has...
- Cloud for Business Managers in Midsize Organizations: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly Read this independent research report to learn how business managers around the world are using Cloud applications.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts