LTE version of Galaxy Tab 10.1 to ship Thursday
Verizon promises downloads of up to 12 Mbps, upload speeds of 2 Mbps to 5 Mbps, on its 4G LTE networks
Computerworld - Two Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet models go on sale this Thursday priced from $529.99.
Also on Thursday, Verizon will begin online sales of a 4G LTE-ready HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop for $599.99. The laptop has an 11.6-in. display and runs Microsoft's Windows 7 Home Premium operating system.
Both of the 4G LTE Galaxy Tab 10.1 models require monthly data plans that start at $30 a month for 2GB. Both models are available in gray or white. A two-year Verizon agreement is also required.
A 16GB model is priced at $529.99, while the 32GB model costs $629.99.
Buyers can choose the $30 starting data plan or two higher tiers: $50 a month for 5GB and $80 a month for 10 GB.
Verizon had announced the pricing of the LTE-ready tablets in early June, but didn't disclose when they would be available until today.
The devices will be available at Verizon stores and online here.
A 16GB Wifi-only version of the Galaxy Tab 10.1 will also be available from Verizon on Thursday online for $499.99. That version has been on sale at Best Buy and other retailers since June 17.
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is potentially the biggest competitor to the Apple iPad and iPad 2 tablets. The Apple devices currently hold a huge lead in the tablet market, according to some analysts.
The Galaxy Tab 10.1 runs Android 3.1, or Honeycomb, and its display size is similar to the 9.7-in. iPad.
The 10.1 is 8.6 millimeters thick, a bit smaller than the 8.8 mm iPad, making it the thinnest tablet on the market. It's also the lightest model at 1.25 lbs.
LTE is potentially a big selling point for the Galaxy Tab 10.1. The system is designed to provide download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in Verizon's LTE coverage areas.
The LTE versions also support Wi-Fi networks.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- IDC drops tablet sales forecast, sees phablets encroaching on the market
- Samsung to offer 3 new tablets starting Feb. 13
- Tablets remain tops in American gift-buying plans
- 'Phablets' are eating into the tablet market, IDC says
- Apple springs Retina iPad Mini on customers
- The puzzling Lumia 2520 tablet: Will it disappear when Microsoft buys Nokia?
- Dell launches four new tablets -- all on Intel chips
- Few use tablets to replace laptops
- New Kindle Fire HDX's tech support button could push IT to yell 'Mayday!'
- Kindle Fire HDX tablets show big push for business users
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- Mission Critical: Managing Mobile Applications & Content Smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices have become embedded in enterprise processes, thanks to the consumerization of IT and a new generation of...
- Securing Mobility, From Device to Network At one time, the process of managing and securing mobile devices and applications was fairly straightforward. Most organizations worried about one application (email)...
- Planning for Mobile Success Many organizations are seeing clear and quantifiable benefits from the deployment of mobile technologies that provide access to data and applications any time,...
- The Challenges and Opportunities of Mobile Application Development Nearly all business users now demand mobile devices--their own or company-owned--along with anywhere access to corporate applications and data. What turns mobile devices...
- On Demand: Mastering the Art of Mobile Content Management Mobile device usage in the enterprise has skyrocketed, and it continues to escalate. IT must answer to users who demand access to their...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts