IDG News Service - Mozilla has launched a new project to build an operating system for mobile devices that will run applications primarily on the Web.
"We want to ... find the gaps that keep web developers from being able to build apps that are --- in every way --- the equals of native apps built for the iPhone, Android, and WP7," a group of Mozilla developers wrote on a new wiki page about the project.
They call the project Boot to Gecko (B2G) and say the plan is to build a "complete, standalone operating system for the open web."
The goal appears similar to one that Google cited when it initially started work on Android. In an online discussion about B2G, Andreas Gal, one of its lead developers, said the ultimate goal was "breaking the stranglehold of proprietary technologies over the mobile devices world."
Developers today must re-write their applications to run on the various mobile-phone platforms. There have been many attempts over the past decade to build technologies that would let developers write an application once and have it run on multiple phone operating systems, but none has worked well.
With the advent of HTML5, some have suggested that an increasing number of mobile apps can run in a browser but still look and feel like a native app. But most agree that HTML5 so far falls a bit short of that goal.
The idea isn't to have apps run only in Firefox, the developers said. "We aren't trying to have these native-grade apps just run on Firefox, we're trying to have them run on the web," they wrote on the B2G Web page.
They expect to use parts of Android to accomplish their goals. "We intend to use as little of Android as possible," Mike Shaver, one of the lead developers, wrote in the forum. They will likely use the Android kernel and drivers because they offer a starting point that can already boot, he said.
The developers said they will work "in the open," releasing the source code in real time, and working through standards groups for relevant pieces.
"This project is in its infancy; some pieces of it are only captured in our heads today, others aren't fully explored," they wrote.
- Studies show Sprint and T-Mobile need to expand U.S. coverage
- Gear Fit: Samsung strikes again with its 'build one of any device' plan
- Nokia Lumia Icon on sale Feb. 20 exclusively at Verizon
- Samsung hints at new UI for upcoming Galaxy S5
- How 'Lenovorola' changes the mobile world
- Google and Samsung grow cozier with patent deal, Motorola sale
- Should Sprint buy T-Mobile?
- iPhone, Samsung smartphone use by U.S. consumers jumps
- A mobile app reality check
- Verizon LTE getting AWS upgrades, even as execs admit to some performance 'hot spots'
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Benefits of IBM: The Savings of Open Source Download Now
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Open Source White Papers | Webcasts