Apple pays half the $4.5B price tag on Nortel patents
IDG News Service - Apple is contributing more than half the total $4.5 billion price tag for Nortel patents, with partners including Microsoft and Sony combined kicking in the rest.
Apple reported on Wednesday in a filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that it will contribute about $2.6 billion toward the cost of the Nortel patent acquisition.
After filing for bankruptcy protection in 2009, Nortel has been selling off pieces of its business. It recently auctioned off its portfolio of about 6,000 patents.
A consortium that includes Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Research In Motion, EMC and Ericsson had the winning $4.5 billion bid. As Apple noted in its SEC filing, the offer is still subject to regulatory approval.
The patents are particularly valuable to companies that make mobile products that have become litigious in recent years as competition in the growing smartphone market heats up.
The winning bid for the patents dwarfed an earlier $900 million offer from Google, which is under attack by many companies since the success of its Android OS.
While Apple already had a better patent position than Google, it may have been interested in a major ownership position in the Nortel patents in hopes of shoring up its defenses.
Apple is involved in legal battles with a number of Android phone makers including Samsung, Motorola and HTC.
- Even rivals are waiting for Apple to get into wearables
- Apple preps final non-security Mavericks update
- New Yosemite dev preview may herald public beta update later this week
- iPhone 5C's China bust raises questions about Apple's pricing for '14 models
- Mac sales so far in '14 may signal share push
- China scrubs Apple's iPad and MacBooks from government buying list
- Circle the date: Apple's iPhone 6 event slated for Sept. 9
- Stable Mac prices fuel reliable profit engine
- Apple unveils minor bumps to MacBook Pro laptops
- Feds arrest Florida man who allegedly conned Apple out of $309K
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- Capabilities You Need in an IP Address Management Solution A mismanaged IP space can cripple an otherwise healthy network. Take a moment to understand what you need in an enterprise-ready IPAM solution.
- IPv6 Fundamentals IPv6 is needed to sustain the growth of the Internet. The transition from IPv4 will require planning and likely some degree of support...
- Optimize IT Performance & Availability: Four Steps to Establish Effective IT Management Baselines More than ever before, your company's ability to grow hinges on IT performance and availability. Download this how-to report on establishing IT baselines,...
- Accelerate your innovation with IBM Bluemix™ Join us for a webcast introducing the new IBM BluemixTM. IBM Bluemix (www.bluemix.net) is a developer oriented Platform as a Service (PaaS) environment...
- Maximizing Availability for the Modern Data Center Check out this information-packed resource center for help in maximizing the availability of your data center - from overcoming challenges to choosing the... All Legal White Papers | Webcasts