PC World - Worried that Web sites are snooping on you as you surf? Concerned that when you're at a public Hot Spot, such as at a café, a hacker can intercept everything you send and receive--including passwords and other personal information? Then you should give CyberGhost VPN Free a try. It creates a virtual private network (VPN) connection when you're on the Internet, so that you can be safe when you go online.
Install the program, then restart your computer, and run CyberGhost VPN F9ee. During setup, it's best to have CyberGhost VPN select your anonymization server for you, unless you know how to do it yourself. For increased security, you can have CyberGhost VPN delete cookies and your browser history after you disconnect, although it does that only in Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Behind the scenes, CyberGhost VPN Free replaces your normal IP address with a CyberGhost IP address shared with many users. In addition, you're connected to anonymization servers, which further protect you. Once you connect, you're anonymous online. Just use the Internet as you would normally. It's that simple.
That's not to say it's free of issues. First is that this free version of CyberGhost VPN will work for only six hours at a time or 1GB of downloads at a time, whichever comes first. You get disconnected after that, although you can then relaunch it again. If you want more uninterrupted time and a larger download amount, you'll have to subscribe to a premium version, which costs from 4 Euros to 10 Euros a month, depending on the download limit you want. That means that the free version is best suited for individual Internet sessions, such as when you take your laptop to a Hot Spot, rather than for all-day use.
In addition, you'll be connected using a foreign IP address, so you may notice some oddities. For example, my home page is Google.com, but when I clicked the home button on my browser, I was sent to the German version of Google. And when I tried to go to Google manually, by typing in google.com into my browser, I was sent to the German version of Google as well.
If you're willing to put up with a few quirks, you'll find CyberGhost VPN a great, free program for keeping you save online. And you can always pay if you want more time and bandwidth.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts