CIO - Almost a month after Google announced its new social network, the Google+ iPhone app is finally available in the iTunes App Store. Those who downloaded the app Tuesday when it first went live complained of a litany of bugs. Google has since released an update, fixing many of the errors.
The Google+ iPhone app is impressive -- it has a fairly intuitive interface, a clean design and a few cool features unique to the mobile version. And while any iPhone user can download it now, only users with Google+ invitations can currently use it.
Here's a look at five things you should know about the Google+ iPhone app, from changing your location settings to uploading photos, and a few tips to help you along the way.
1. View your Google+ Stream three ways
When you open the Google+ iPhone app, the home screen displays five features: your stream of updates; Huddle, the feature that lets you chat among your circles; photos; your profile; and your circles. Tap "Stream" to access three views of updates.
The first view of your stream includes updates only from Google+ users in your circles. Visually, it looks a lot like Facebook's iPhone app with the user's photo next to their update, an excerpt from a link they attached and comments from other Google+ users.
Swiping your finger across the screen from right to left will change the view of your stream to something unique to the Google+ iPhone app: incoming messages from people near your current location.
Swiping your finger once more from right to left will change the stream view to "Incoming," which includes posts from everyone who has put you in a circle.
2. Google+ Check-Ins
At the top right of the app you'll see two icons: a checkmark and a pencil. Tap the checkmark to load a list of locations near you and check in.
By default, check-in privacy is set so only those in your circles can view it. You can change this by tapping the "Your circles" bar. You can also attach a photo from your camera or take a picture.
Unlike Foursquare or Facebook check-ins, there are no deals attached to checking in, though it's likely that feature will come soon. Clicking on a location from the mobile app will load the corresponding Google Places page.
3. Remove your location from Google+ Updates
While the Google+ iPhone app may limit your location to only your circles, by default, all your mobile updates will include roughly where you are. Here's how to remove your location: Click the pencil icon in the top right to create a new post. Your location is listed just above the camera icon on the bottom. Click the X next to it. This bar will now read "No location attached."
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts