Google+ grows fast but still a minor player, says Hitwise
However, Google+ made a big jump from the prior week ending July 9
IDG News Service - The new Google+ social site, out in limited beta release since late June, is growing its usage very quickly, but it remains far from a leadership position, according to Hitwise.
For the week ending July 16, Google+ ranked in the 42nd spot among social networking sites and in the 638th spot among all sites in the U.S. in terms of visits, Hitwise said on Wednesday.
However, Google+ made a big jump from the prior week ending July 9, when it ranked in the 2,404th spot among all sites in the U.S., Hitwise said.
Google+, which is available only by invitation from current members, has been designed with the hope that its privacy and content-sharing mechanisms will attract a substantial number of people who aren't comfortable with Facebook's privacy policies and controls.
Still, Facebook's growth continues unabated. The site recently exceeded 750 million members, and the average user continues to increase the amount of time spent on the site.
Visits to Google+ exceeded 1.8 million the week ending July 16, up 283 percent compared with the prior week and up 821 percent compared with the week ending July 2, according to Hitwise.
Google+ has generated a mostly positive buzz among users, and there is a strong demand for invitations, so it's clear that use would be much higher if it were open to anyone interested in signing up.
Other interesting stats about Google + from Hitwise include the following:
-- Men make up 57 percent of visitors to the site
-- People between the ages of 25 and 34 make up almost 39 percent of visitors
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts