IDG News Service - Google has started warning some search users of malware on their computers, after it found unusual search traffic coming through a small number of intermediary servers called proxies.
Google is putting up a notification at the top of Google web search results to users whose traffic is coming through the proxies. The notice warns uses that their computer is infected with software that intercepts their connection with Google and other sites, Damian Menscher , a Google security engineer said in the post.
Google hopes to work with users to help them update their antivirus software and remove the infections.
"I think what Google is doing should be applauded, as anything which warns computer users about genuine malware threats has to be a good thing," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos."But, sadly and inevitably, there is the potential for cybercriminals to mimic the Google warning and direct users to dangerous downloads," Cluley said.
However, that alone shouldn't discourage Google from warning its users when it believes it has identified a security problem, he said.
Google said it found the unusual search traffic while doing routine maintenance on one of its data centers. After collaborating with security engineers at several companies that were sending the modified traffic, Google determined that the computers exhibiting this behavior were infected with a particular strain of malware.
Menscher did not provide details on the malware.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!