IDG News Service - Google has started warning some search users of malware on their computers, after it found unusual search traffic coming through a small number of intermediary servers called proxies.
Google is putting up a notification at the top of Google web search results to users whose traffic is coming through the proxies. The notice warns uses that their computer is infected with software that intercepts their connection with Google and other sites, Damian Menscher , a Google security engineer said in the post.
Google hopes to work with users to help them update their antivirus software and remove the infections.
"I think what Google is doing should be applauded, as anything which warns computer users about genuine malware threats has to be a good thing," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at security firm Sophos."But, sadly and inevitably, there is the potential for cybercriminals to mimic the Google warning and direct users to dangerous downloads," Cluley said.
However, that alone shouldn't discourage Google from warning its users when it believes it has identified a security problem, he said.
Google said it found the unusual search traffic while doing routine maintenance on one of its data centers. After collaborating with security engineers at several companies that were sending the modified traffic, Google determined that the computers exhibiting this behavior were infected with a particular strain of malware.
Menscher did not provide details on the malware.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- IDC Report: The Future of eMail is Social This paper discusses the changing nature of collaboration and work fueled by the social Web by examining current email trends and the emergence...
- The Business of Social Business Social business represents a significant transformational opportunity for organizations. Read this whitepaper to learn more.
- Six Ways Your Small Business Can Save with Internet Phone Service Traditional phone systems present two main problems for businesses: limited features and high costs. As a result, small businesses are migrating to Internet...
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts