Apple sold 9.25 million iPads in the quarter, a 183% increase from the same quarter last year. It sold 20.34 million iPhones, a 142% increase. IPod sales were down 20% to 7.54 million units, however.
The iPad 2 went on sale in March to big lines in the U.S., and while initial stocks dried up quickly, demand remained strong.
Apple's profit for the quarter, ended June 25, was $7.31 billion, up from $3.25 billion a year earlier. Revenue was $28.57 billion, up from $15.7 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected revenue of $25 billion.
At the Worldwide Developers Conference last month, Apple introduced its next mobile OS, iOS 5, and the iCloud syncing and hosting service for music, photos and other data.
Unit sales (in millions)
|Q3 2011||Yr-over-yr increase|
"Right now, we're very focused and excited about bringing iOS 5 and iCloud to our users this fall," CEO Steve Jobs said in a statement.
Apple also sold 3.95 million Macs in the third quarter, a 14% increase from last year, it said.
The company expects revenue of about $25 billion for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2011.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts