Silver Peak releases software-only WAN optimization
WAN optimization can be deployed on any standard x86 hardware
Computerworld - Silver Peak Systems today released a software-only edition of its WAN optimization product that will allow users and vendors to deploy it on a variety of hardware and hypervisors, from virtualized blade servers to storage area networks (SAN).
Additionally, Silver Peak announced a partnership agreement with telecom company Avaya, through which its Silver Peak VX family of virtual WAN optimization appliances can reside as a module with the Avaya Secure Router 4134. The server module also supports dedicated CPU, memory and storage, allowing the Silver Peak virtual WAN optimization appliance to operate independently of the Avaya SR 4134 routing platform.
Silver Peak said its new Virtual Acceleration Open Architecture (VXOA) software comes with a flexible subscription-based pricing model that enables users to deploy WAN optimization more conveniently, said Rick Tinsley, Silver Peak president and CEO.
Silver Peak has not changed the underlying software that is used on all of its WAN optimization appliances, but it has added a new software development kit (SDK), an application programming interface (API) and new pricing options.
"Unlike traditional competitors clinging to fixed and custom hardware, we're unbundling WAN optimization, and that allows customers to choose the way they'd like to deploy it," Tinsley said.
Silver Peak's WAN Optimization software uses protocol acceleration techniques, reducing network "chattines," including the adjustment of TCP window sizes and selective TCP acknowledgements. It also uses quality of service techniques to prioritize traffic.
By unbundling the product, the VXOA software can be tightly integrated with third-party hardware, including stand-alone x86 servers, blades, storage arrays and routers.
Silver Peak already has a partnership agreement with EMC, which uses its WAN optimization software on its VPLEX cloud storage appliance to reduce bandwidth requirements for replicating data between SANs over distance.
"Historically, WAN optimization has been about making email run faster in branch offices and other relatively trivial end-user applications. We saw a bigger and more strategic opportunity for optimizing things like major data center replication apps," Tinsley said.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networked Storage in Computerworld's Networked Storage Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Networked Storage White Papers | Webcasts