Anonymous hacks Booz Allen, posts 90K military email addresses and passwords
IDG News Service - The Anonymous hacking group said Monday it had broken into military contractor Booz Allen Hamilton's network and posted 90,000 military e-mail addresses and passwords online.
Booz Allen isn't commenting. "As part of @BoozAllen security policy, we generally do not comment on specific threats or actions taken against our systems," the company said via its Twitter feed.
In addition to the e-mail addresses, which Anonymous suggests expose members of the intelligence community, the group also posted other data it said could potentially offer access to other government agencies and contractors.
"We infiltrated a server on [Booz Allen's] network that basically had no security measures in place," Anonymous said in a statement, posted to the torrent site where it uploaded the data.
The group warned on Sunday that it planned new activity. Via the @anonymouSabu Twitter account, it wrote: "ATTN Intelligence community: Your contractors have failed you. Tomorrow is the beginning."
It also said there would be two releases of information on Monday.
Anonymous and another hacking group, LulzSec, have been attacking government and law enforcement targets for a couple of months as part of a campaign they call "Antisec." Anonymous broke into an Arizona police system and released e-mails from there. It also attacked Turkish government websites. Authorities in several countries, including Spain, the U.K. and Turkey, have arrested people they say are affiliated with Anonymous.
LulzSec has disbanded following member arrests. It had attacked networks of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, the U.S. Senate and the U.K.'s Serious Organized Crime Agency.
- Goodwill Industries probes possible payment card breach
- Aloha point-of-sale terminal, sold on eBay, yields security surprises
- The biggest data breaches of 2014 (so far)
- Blue Shield discloses 18,000 doctors' Social Security numbers
- PF Chang's says breach was 'highly sophisticated criminal operation'
- Breaches exposed 1 in 7 US debit cards in 2013
- New malware program targets banking data
- How to protect yourself against privileged user abuse
- Montana data breach exposes 1.3 million personal records
- Hacker puts 'full redundancy' code-hosting firm out of business
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- All Government IT Webcasts