Google to developers: Stay tuned for Google+ tools
Declines to say sif Google+ will be compatible with the company's OpenSocial APIs
IDG News Service - It became standard procedure in recent years for Internet companies to launch early test versions of their newest services with hooks for external developers, but Google is bucking that trend with its Google+ social network.
Currently, external developers don't have any Google+ APIs (application programming interfaces) or tools to tinker with, as the company tests the service with a limited set of users.
For example, in 2009, Google launched its now-closed Wave communication and collaboration application first to developers during the company's I/O conference.
Built on Google Web Toolkit using HTML 5, Wave came with a set of APIs (application programming interfaces) so that developers could right out of the gate extend its functionality and integrate it with other Web services.
Not so with Google+. However, when asked about this issue, a Google spokeswoman said that the company intends to loop developers into Google+ eventually.
"We definitely plan to involve developers and publishers in the Google+ project, but we don't have specific details to share just yet. Please stay tuned," she said via e-mail.
The spokeswoman declined to say specifically if Google+ will be compatible with the company's OpenSocial set of common APIs for social networking applications.
When Google does open Google+ to developers, the tools and policies will have to reflect the social networking site's design emphasis on privacy and on making it easy for users to understand how and with whom they are sharing content.
That could prove tricky, considering the cat-and-mouse game that Internet companies often engage in with rogue external developers who try to bend the rules of their application platforms for financial gain or for malicious purposes, like compromising user data.
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Petitions plead for Google Reader's life, collect 100K signatures
- In Google+ hangout, astronauts talk tech, Isaac Newton and Twitter
- Obama talks about math, online privacy and an open Internet in Google+ hangout
- Google+ suffers outage Friday morning
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- AIIM SharePoint Industry Watch AIIM surveyed its 65,000 community members to look at how the enterprise is reacting to social aspects, why organizations are exploring social, who...
- Creating a Smarter Workforce for Market Leadership IBM executives, clients and industry experts will discuss how leading companies are building a smarter workforce and why it is key to an...
- Secrets to Corporate Communications Success Watch this 60-minute webinar to discover how how other companies are successfully creating advocates out of their employees and help them to better... All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts