Google to developers: Stay tuned for Google+ tools
Declines to say sif Google+ will be compatible with the company's OpenSocial APIs
IDG News Service - It became standard procedure in recent years for Internet companies to launch early test versions of their newest services with hooks for external developers, but Google is bucking that trend with its Google+ social network.
Currently, external developers don't have any Google+ APIs (application programming interfaces) or tools to tinker with, as the company tests the service with a limited set of users.
For example, in 2009, Google launched its now-closed Wave communication and collaboration application first to developers during the company's I/O conference.
Built on Google Web Toolkit using HTML 5, Wave came with a set of APIs (application programming interfaces) so that developers could right out of the gate extend its functionality and integrate it with other Web services.
Not so with Google+. However, when asked about this issue, a Google spokeswoman said that the company intends to loop developers into Google+ eventually.
"We definitely plan to involve developers and publishers in the Google+ project, but we don't have specific details to share just yet. Please stay tuned," she said via e-mail.
The spokeswoman declined to say specifically if Google+ will be compatible with the company's OpenSocial set of common APIs for social networking applications.
When Google does open Google+ to developers, the tools and policies will have to reflect the social networking site's design emphasis on privacy and on making it easy for users to understand how and with whom they are sharing content.
That could prove tricky, considering the cat-and-mouse game that Internet companies often engage in with rogue external developers who try to bend the rules of their application platforms for financial gain or for malicious purposes, like compromising user data.
- As Google+ nears 3rd anniversary, where does it go from here?
- Why the social networks are falling apart
- With Gundotra out, changes likely for Google+
- Google+ creator Vic Gundotra is leaving Google
- Google+ popularity jumps with 540M monthly users
- Getting around Google+: 25 tips and tricks for power users
- Getting around Google+: Expand your circles -- and your influence
- Getting around Google+: A guide to the basics
- Google+ updates mobile apps for iPhone, Android
- 500K users flee dead-RSS-walking Google Reader for Feedly
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Social Business White Papers | Webcasts