Network World - Two types of cloud computing - software as a service (SaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) -- promise to bring great changes to the role of IT in the enterprise. IT professionals really need to learn how to talk the talk when it comes to SaaS and IaaS if they want to stay ahead of the trends.
In particular, CIOs and their IT departments need to take charge of the process of choosing a SaaS provider or an IaaS provider. For that, they need a thorough understanding of their business needs and their technical needs.
They also need to know what questions to ask of potential SaaS and IaaS providers. For example, what happens if your cloud computing resources become unavailable? How is data backed up? How do you meet regulatory compliance requirements?
CIOs also need to bear in mind integration requirements, and they need to look down the road for potential changes. What if you want to change SaaS providers? What if you want to migrate to a different application? How do you avoid vendor lock-in, to keep those options open?
In this comprehensive guide, Network World has brought together some of the best practices for choosing SaaS providers and IaaS providers. The guide lays out what questions to ask, and relays the specific experiences of two early adopters and the lessons they learned. Plus, we've collected 10 SaaS companies to keep on your radar, companies to ask those tough questions.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Truth About Virtual Computing for CAD If you're a user of graphics-intensive software such as 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, and visualization, you might be skeptical about moving to...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs. All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!