Network World - Two types of cloud computing - software as a service (SaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) -- promise to bring great changes to the role of IT in the enterprise. IT professionals really need to learn how to talk the talk when it comes to SaaS and IaaS if they want to stay ahead of the trends.
In particular, CIOs and their IT departments need to take charge of the process of choosing a SaaS provider or an IaaS provider. For that, they need a thorough understanding of their business needs and their technical needs.
They also need to know what questions to ask of potential SaaS and IaaS providers. For example, what happens if your cloud computing resources become unavailable? How is data backed up? How do you meet regulatory compliance requirements?
CIOs also need to bear in mind integration requirements, and they need to look down the road for potential changes. What if you want to change SaaS providers? What if you want to migrate to a different application? How do you avoid vendor lock-in, to keep those options open?
In this comprehensive guide, Network World has brought together some of the best practices for choosing SaaS providers and IaaS providers. The guide lays out what questions to ask, and relays the specific experiences of two early adopters and the lessons they learned. Plus, we've collected 10 SaaS companies to keep on your radar, companies to ask those tough questions.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Live Webcast Best Practices: How to Improve Business Continuity with Virtualization VMware solutions include a range of business continuity capabilities to help ensure availability for applications across your virtualized environment. Learn More>>
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT...
- Leveraging the Cloud for Dev/Test This video discusses some of the key considerations that IT organizations should take into account when moving test and development projects to the... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts