Network World - Two types of cloud computing - software as a service (SaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) -- promise to bring great changes to the role of IT in the enterprise. IT professionals really need to learn how to talk the talk when it comes to SaaS and IaaS if they want to stay ahead of the trends.
In particular, CIOs and their IT departments need to take charge of the process of choosing a SaaS provider or an IaaS provider. For that, they need a thorough understanding of their business needs and their technical needs.
They also need to know what questions to ask of potential SaaS and IaaS providers. For example, what happens if your cloud computing resources become unavailable? How is data backed up? How do you meet regulatory compliance requirements?
CIOs also need to bear in mind integration requirements, and they need to look down the road for potential changes. What if you want to change SaaS providers? What if you want to migrate to a different application? How do you avoid vendor lock-in, to keep those options open?
In this comprehensive guide, Network World has brought together some of the best practices for choosing SaaS providers and IaaS providers. The guide lays out what questions to ask, and relays the specific experiences of two early adopters and the lessons they learned. Plus, we've collected 10 SaaS companies to keep on your radar, companies to ask those tough questions.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- DevOps with PureApplication System: Reduce cost and speed delivery with an integrated IBM Cloud solution Join this webcast to hear what ING Netherlands has been able to achieve while deploying DevOps tools from IBM Rational. An ING executive...
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!