Network World - Two types of cloud computing - software as a service (SaaS) and infrastructure as a service (IaaS) -- promise to bring great changes to the role of IT in the enterprise. IT professionals really need to learn how to talk the talk when it comes to SaaS and IaaS if they want to stay ahead of the trends.
In particular, CIOs and their IT departments need to take charge of the process of choosing a SaaS provider or an IaaS provider. For that, they need a thorough understanding of their business needs and their technical needs.
They also need to know what questions to ask of potential SaaS and IaaS providers. For example, what happens if your cloud computing resources become unavailable? How is data backed up? How do you meet regulatory compliance requirements?
CIOs also need to bear in mind integration requirements, and they need to look down the road for potential changes. What if you want to change SaaS providers? What if you want to migrate to a different application? How do you avoid vendor lock-in, to keep those options open?
In this comprehensive guide, Network World has brought together some of the best practices for choosing SaaS providers and IaaS providers. The guide lays out what questions to ask, and relays the specific experiences of two early adopters and the lessons they learned. Plus, we've collected 10 SaaS companies to keep on your radar, companies to ask those tough questions.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- ESG: The IBM FlashSystem 840: Technical Evolution to Deliver Business Value In this whitepaper, you will learn how this high-speed storage technology has tremendous potential to support I/O-intensive and/or latency-sensitive applications.
- Choosing an MDM Platform: Where to Start the Conversation If you're in the early stages of choosing an MDM solution, or you're considering switching vendors, here are seven critical questions to ask...
- Axeda Platform Technical Overview This paper summarizes the major features of an IoT platform and explains how they simplify and speed the process of developing and deploying...
- Stock Shock: The effect of project and portfolio management on share price In this independent report, you'll see the intrinsic connection between long-term capital investment and short term market performance -- and how this can...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts