Update: Verizon set to drop unlimited data plans for smartphones
Three new Verizon Wireless monthly data plans, starting at $30 for 2GB, will be launched Thursday
Computerworld - Editor's note: The original version of this story quoted a news report which said there were four smartphone data pricing tiers coming July 7. Verizon later said there are only three plans to be launched Thursday.
As expected, Verizon Wireless will end unlimited smartphone data plans.
On July 7, Verizon will start offering three smartphone data plans that are priced from $30 for 2GB per month. The other plans are priced at $50 for 5GB and $80 for 10 GB, according to Brenda Raney, a Verizon spokeswoman.
The three smartphone tiers also apply to other "feature" cell phones, but feature phones will get a smaller fourth tier that is $10 for 75 MB per month, she said via email.
Users going over the limits of their plan will be charged $10 per extra 1GB.
Current contracts are not impacted, and existing customers who upgrade to a new smartphone and new contracts can keep the current $30 monthly unlimited data plan.
Online news site FierceWireless first reported the new Verizon plan.
AT&T moved to a tiered pricing model for data plans last year. It charges $15 for 200 MB per month, and $25 for 2 GB per month.
T-Mobile USA affects data usage by throttling transmission speeds of users that go over a specified amount.
Sprint is the only large U.S. carrier that doesn't have usage-based smartphone data plans.
A separate report in Droid Life said Verizon will also begin charging $30 for unlimited LTE mobile hotspot usage on smartphones like the HTC ThunderBolt and Samsung Droid Charge, starting on July 7.
New customers will be charged $20 for an extra 2GB of data used in a mobile hotspot.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen, or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts