IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard announced its "most compact" multifunction laser printer, which prints documents from smartphones and tablets, the company said Tuesday.
The HP LaserJet Pro 100 MFP M175NW multifunction color printer is priced at $349 and aimed at personal use and small and medium-size businesses, the company said in a statement. Users will be able to remotely print documents from select mobile devices through HP's mobile printing service called ePrint.
With ePrint, users can securely print documents from compatible printers that are nearby or at remote locations such as hotels, airports or libraries. HP has already enabled ePrint capabilities on mobile devices like its Palm or Research In Motion's BlackBerry smartphones. IPhone and iPad users can also wirelessly print documents directly on HP printers.
Documents can also be printed on compatible HP printers from Google's cloud-based Gmail and Google Docs applications with ePrint extensions. An e-mail address of an HP ePrint-enabled printer needs be added to a unique Google account tied to a smartphone or tablet. Multiple printers can be tied to one Google account and users will be able to select the printer.
The printer can print up to four color pages and 16 black-and-white pages per minute, according to product specifications on the company's website. The scanner can capture images at 1200 dots per inch (dpi) resolution. The printer has USB 2.0 and Ethernet ports and Wi-Fi capabilities.
The company did not immediately return requests for comment on worldwide availability. The printer is listed for availability on a few retail sites such as OfficeMax.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Infographic: Converged Infrastructure Benefits This Infographic quantifies the savings organizations are realizing from increased deployment speed, higher availability, and lower annual costs.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- Going Paperless? Here's What You Need to Think About As makers of some of the world's most popular PDF solutions, we often consult with businesses & governmental agencies that have the goal...
- The Big Data Opportunity for HR and Finance If CEOs, CFOs, CIOs, and CHROs want to drive their businesses forward, they will need to quickly recognize the enormous value of big...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Building Tomorrow's Infrastructure Listen to this podcast to discover how Crider Foods worked with PC Connection to update their IT infrastructure, while maintaining compliance and control. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!