Microsoft's Bing will power Baidu's Chinese search site
IDG News Service - Microsoft's Bing search engine will provide English-language search results for Baidu, China's largest search engine, the companies announced Monday.
Further details of the deal, including its financial terms, weren't disclosed.
The move follows Google's decision last year to pull its search engine from China's mainland, following a high-profile dust-up over censorship of search results. The Google.cn page now redirects visitors to Google's Hong Kong search site when they attempt to enter terms into the search bar.
Baidu holds roughly 80% of the search engine market in China. Better English-language results through Bing may boost its share even higher.
The company has made other recent moves to expand its footprint. Last month, it announced a $306 million deal with Qunar, a Chinese travel search engine, that will see Baidu become Qunar's majority shareholder.
Meanwhile, Microsoft is no doubt eager to gain better access to China's roughly 480 million Internet users as it tries to chip away at Google's vast lead in the global search engine market.
So far this month, Google held 91.07% of the worldwide market compared to 3.21% for Bing, according to figures generated Monday by Statcounter's GlobalStats website.
- Data on the Move = Business on the Move; How Strategic Secure Managed File Transfer Adds Value and Drives Business This whitepaper describes the formal and informal file-sharing methods business employees use to perform their daily functions and explains that, from sending small...
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Supercharge Your Web and Mobile App Development with High-Productivity Hybrid Cloud Webinar: Hear from industry experts about the amazing power at the intersection of next-generation web and mobile application development and cloud platforms.
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Internet White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!