IDG News Service - The Anonymous hacking group has taken another swipe at police in Arizona, launching online attacks against several police union websites and publishing e-mail messages stolen from law enforcement officers.
Regional sites belonging to the Fraternal Order of Police were defaced Thursday night and many of them remained offline Friday. Anonymous took credit for the attacks, saying it was continuing its assault in protest of the state's tough anti-immigration laws.
Anonymous said it had defaced eight Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) websites and was releasing a list of more than 1,200 police usernames, passwords and e-mail addresses. It encouraged other hackers to search through "everybody's inbox to retrieve and expose their secrets," it said in a statement.
It also published personal e-mail messages of several FOP members containing passwords, credit card numbers and, in some cases, anti-immigrant chain e-mail messages.
Representatives from the affected Fraternal Order of Police organizations did not reply to messages seeking comment Friday.
Anonymous, along with another now-disbanded hacking group, LulzSec, has been running an ongoing "Antisec" attack against government, law enforcement and corporations for weeks now. In two separate incidents, it has previously released e-mail messages belonging to the Arizona Department of Public Safety and other police data.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety has called the hackers a "cyber terrorism group."
- 18 Hot IT Certifications for 2014
- CIOs Opting for IT Contractors Over Hiring Full-Time Staff
- 12 Best Free iOS 7 Holiday Shopping Apps
- For CMOs Big Data Can Lead to Big Profits
- Slideshow: 5 ways to lock down your mobile device
- Slideshow: 10 mistakes companies make after a data breach
- How to rob a bank: A social engineering walk through
- Which smartphone is the most secure?
If you think getting it right from day one is always what matters, you probably haven't been following technology too closely.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Mitigating DDoS Attacks with F5 Technology
- This document examines various DDoS attack methods and the application of specific ADC technologies to block attacks in the DDoS threat spectrum while...
- The DDoS Threat Spectrum
- Bolstered by favorable economics, today's global botnets are using distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks to target firewalls, web services, and applications, often simultaneously.
- Defending Against Denial of Service Attacks
- By utilizing end-user interviews, this whitepaper explores a deeper understanding of DDoS defense plans and reveals the knowledge gaps around the Denial of...
- Strategic Solutions for Government IT
- This paper outlines why F5 is the optimum partner to help achieve the levels of security, performance and availability that are vital to...
- Armed and Dangerous: Help your IT Organization Embrace Enterprise Mobility
- Becoming a mobile enterprise means new opportunities for your organization yet letting employees choose their own devices and then access corporate resources, apps,... All Government IT White Papers
- Modernizing SAP environments with minimum risk - a path to Big Data Hear from top IDC analyst, Richard Villars, about the path you can start taking now to enable your organization to get the benefits...
- Fighting Fraud Videos: IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager Short videos about IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager (IIM) for Fraud. IIM optimizes the investigation of fraud for customers across many industries in both...
- IBM Intelligent Investigation Manager: Online Product Demo Intelligent Investigation Manager optimizes fraud investigation and analysis and it dynamically coordinates and reports on cases, provides analysis and visualization, and enables more...
- Webinar: IBM IIM for Fraud, Abuse and Waste in Government View this IBM webinar to learn about the challenges and opportunities in fraud reduction, waste, and abuse in government programs and agencies. You...
- Pre-Engineered solutions from VCE Simplify Core Infrastructure Implementation In this video, the CTO of Purdue Pharma, a privately held pharmaceutical company explains how Purdue transformed their data center infrastructure with VCE.
- All Government IT Webcasts
Does your organization offer extensive benefits, cool perks, competitive salaries, opportunities for training and advancement? Then get it recognized!
Nominate your company or another deserving organization for Computerworld's 2014 Best Places to Work in IT list now through Dec. 12, 2013.