Spam messages promise Google+ invites, deliver drug ads
IDG News Service - It's the hottest invitation in technology right now -- an e-mail telling you how to "learn more about Google+." If you get one, though, be careful about clicking on it. It may be spam.
Security vendor Sophos says that pharmaceutical spammers have recently started to cash in on the popularity of Google's Facebook alternative by pushing out fake invitations to the Google+ social service.
"The messages look similar to the real emails that users may receive from friends who are already members of Google+," wrote Sophos Senior Technology Consultant Graham Cluley in a Friday blog post. "However, clicking on the links will not take you to the new social network, but instead take you to a pharmacy website set up to sell the likes of Viagra, Cialis and Levitra."
Google introduced its new service on Tuesday. Early members were encouraged to invite their friends, but on Wednesday Google stopped adding new members because of the "insane demand," according to Vic Gundotra, the senior vice president of Google's social media group.
Spammers are always looking to cash in on the latest news trends, but with these fake Google+ invites, they've lucked into an ideal scam. Many people are eager to click on Google+ to see exactly what the service is all about.
"The spammers are no doubt hoping that the email will be too hard to resist for many people eager to see Google's new social network, although just how many users will be tempted to buy drugs online is a mystery," said Cluley.
- Warning: Cloud Data at Risk Experts agree that relying on SaaS vendors to backup and restore your data is dangerous. Yet that's exactly what huge portions of the...
- The Opportunities and Challenges of the Cloud In this report F5 poses questions to IDC analysts, Sally Hudson and Phil Hochmuth, on behalf of F5's customers to better understand the...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- The Truth About Cloud Security "Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!