Spam messages promise Google+ invites, deliver drug ads
IDG News Service - It's the hottest invitation in technology right now -- an e-mail telling you how to "learn more about Google+." If you get one, though, be careful about clicking on it. It may be spam.
Security vendor Sophos says that pharmaceutical spammers have recently started to cash in on the popularity of Google's Facebook alternative by pushing out fake invitations to the Google+ social service.
"The messages look similar to the real emails that users may receive from friends who are already members of Google+," wrote Sophos Senior Technology Consultant Graham Cluley in a Friday blog post. "However, clicking on the links will not take you to the new social network, but instead take you to a pharmacy website set up to sell the likes of Viagra, Cialis and Levitra."
Google introduced its new service on Tuesday. Early members were encouraged to invite their friends, but on Wednesday Google stopped adding new members because of the "insane demand," according to Vic Gundotra, the senior vice president of Google's social media group.
Spammers are always looking to cash in on the latest news trends, but with these fake Google+ invites, they've lucked into an ideal scam. Many people are eager to click on Google+ to see exactly what the service is all about.
"The spammers are no doubt hoping that the email will be too hard to resist for many people eager to see Google's new social network, although just how many users will be tempted to buy drugs online is a mystery," said Cluley.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!