Gmail gets a Google+-like makeover
Google, rolls out tweaks over next few months, going for consistent look
Computerworld - Google is giving Gmail users a glimpse of design updates that will roll out over the next few months.
Gmail isn't the only Google application that's getting a makeover this summer. According to Cornwell, Google Calendar will also get a new look that will be revealed in the next few days.
"This is part of a Google-wide effort to bring you an experience that's more focused, elastic, and effortless across all of our products," Cornwell wrote. "The changes are not going to happen all at once. We know that you love and care about Gmail as much as we do, and we'll be working on these upgrades gradually over the next few months to allow plenty of time to understand and incorporate your feedback into the evolving design."
Ezra Gottheil, an analyst at Technology Business Research, said it makes sense that Google wants to create a consistent look for all of its services.
"A consistent look is essential for branding," he said. "People should know they're on a Google property. Even someone glancing at someone else's screen should know they're on a Google property. It may be that Google+ was just the first view of the new look."
As of Thursday, users could try out two new combinations of colors and graphics for their Gmail interfaces. The new design options, which Google calls "themes," are known as Preview and Preview Dense; they pick up on the look of Google+ and make Gmail pages more airy with a lot more white space. With the new themes, Gmail messages look quite a bit like status updates on the page.
The new themes can be found under the Themes tab in Gmail Settings.
"These are not major changes. I think [Google] implied that the coming changes would be incremental, which is a good approach," said Gottheil. "They want their look to be current. And a consistent look makes everything easier to use. To the extent that there's overlapping functionality -- and there is -- you want the same functions to look the same and, to the extent possible, be in the same place."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Social Business in Computerworld's Social Business Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Networking White Papers | Webcasts