Facebook teases 'awesome' launch next week
Could upcoming release by a free app optimized for Apple's iPad?
Computerworld - Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is trying to build some excitement for an announcement the company is planning next week.
Zuckerberg, Facebook's CEO and co-founder, told a group of reporters at the social network's Seattle office on Thursday that the company is working to "launch something awesome" next week, according to a Reuters news service report. He added that the announcement could be connected to the mobile or tablet market.
Reuters noted that Zuckerberg said the project was developed in the Seattle office, which is Facebook's only engineering center away from its main Palo Alto, Calif. offices.
Facebook did not respond to a request for further information.
Online speculation is growing that the upcoming announcement could be connected to the social network finally releasing a free app for Apple's highly popular iPad tablet.
Earlier this month, the New York Times reported that an optimized app was in the works.
If Facebook is going to release an iPad app, its been a long time coming. Since the iPad was unveiled more than a year ago, industry analysts have been wondering why it's taken Facebook so long to optimize an app for it.
Facebook has an app that iPad owners can use, but it was built for the iPhone and has not been optimized for the iPad's larger screen or other features. Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, called the current un-optimized app "lame" in an earlier interview.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
- Facebook shows mobile app developers the money with new ad network
- Facebook unveils anonymous app log-ins
Read more about Web Apps in Computerworld's Web Apps Topic Center.
- How Network Connections Drive Web Application Performance Users around the globe, on all sorts of devices, expect Web applications to function as seamlessly as desktop applications. This paper discusses the...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Web Apps White Papers | Webcasts