LaCie offers hybrid cloud storage service
Rival do-it-your-self backup may be cheaper, but not easier
Computerworld - LaCie has announced a hybrid storage product that combines a desktop hard drive with a cloud storage service.
The new product, called CloudBox, automatically stores a copy of your data locally to what is basically a network-attached storage (NAS) device and then securely replicates that data to an online storage service.
The company said all data is secured using 128-bit AES encryption before it is are sent to the cloud, meaning no one but the user can access it.
LaCie attained its online backup service with the purchase of Wuala two years ago.
But CloudBox doesn't come cheap. For $200, a consumer gets a 100GB desktop box and a one-year subscription to the online cloud service. For every year after that, it'll cost $100 to renew the cloud service.
By comparison, a 1TB external hard drive can be had for less than $100 via sites such as Pricegrabber.com, and online backup providers such as Mozy's MozyHome charge $5.95 per month for as much as 50GB of storage capacity.
LaCie makes secure backup easy with its new service. There's no need to configure a drive with encryption and then set up a separate online backup service. With CloudBox, files selected for backup are automatically stored locally and to the cloud.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
Read more about Networked Storage in Computerworld's Networked Storage Topic Center.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Networked Storage White Papers | Webcasts