LaCie offers hybrid cloud storage service
Rival do-it-your-self backup may be cheaper, but not easier
Computerworld - LaCie has announced a hybrid storage product that combines a desktop hard drive with a cloud storage service.
The new product, called CloudBox, automatically stores a copy of your data locally to what is basically a network-attached storage (NAS) device and then securely replicates that data to an online storage service.
The company said all data is secured using 128-bit AES encryption before it is are sent to the cloud, meaning no one but the user can access it.
LaCie attained its online backup service with the purchase of Wuala two years ago.
But CloudBox doesn't come cheap. For $200, a consumer gets a 100GB desktop box and a one-year subscription to the online cloud service. For every year after that, it'll cost $100 to renew the cloud service.
By comparison, a 1TB external hard drive can be had for less than $100 via sites such as Pricegrabber.com, and online backup providers such as Mozy's MozyHome charge $5.95 per month for as much as 50GB of storage capacity.
LaCie makes secure backup easy with its new service. There's no need to configure a drive with encryption and then set up a separate online backup service. With CloudBox, files selected for backup are automatically stored locally and to the cloud.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Networked Storage in Computerworld's Networked Storage Topic Center.
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- 5 Customers Deliver Virtual Desktops and Apps to Empower a Modern Workforce Learn how Citrix solutions helped 5 companies realize the full value of desktop virtualization through a project-by-project approach based on key business priorities.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Networked Storage White Papers | Webcasts