LaCie offers hybrid cloud storage service
Rival do-it-your-self backup may be cheaper, but not easier
Computerworld - LaCie has announced a hybrid storage product that combines a desktop hard drive with a cloud storage service.
The new product, called CloudBox, automatically stores a copy of your data locally to what is basically a network-attached storage (NAS) device and then securely replicates that data to an online storage service.
The company said all data is secured using 128-bit AES encryption before it is are sent to the cloud, meaning no one but the user can access it.
LaCie attained its online backup service with the purchase of Wuala two years ago.
But CloudBox doesn't come cheap. For $200, a consumer gets a 100GB desktop box and a one-year subscription to the online cloud service. For every year after that, it'll cost $100 to renew the cloud service.
By comparison, a 1TB external hard drive can be had for less than $100 via sites such as Pricegrabber.com, and online backup providers such as Mozy's MozyHome charge $5.95 per month for as much as 50GB of storage capacity.
LaCie makes secure backup easy with its new service. There's no need to configure a drive with encryption and then set up a separate online backup service. With CloudBox, files selected for backup are automatically stored locally and to the cloud.
Lucas Mearian covers storage, disaster recovery and business continuity, financial services infrastructure and health care IT for Computerworld. Follow Lucas on Twitter at @lucasmearian or subscribe to Lucas's RSS feed . His e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Networked Storage in Computerworld's Networked Storage Topic Center.
- 2014 Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Backup Software and Integrated Appliances Enterprise backup is among the oldest, most-performed tasks for IT professionals. Gartner provides analysis and evaluation of the leading providers that offer a...
- Analyst: EMC's FLASH 1st Strategy Gain insight from analyst ESG on Flash storage and how the logic and value behind EMC's strategy for Flash.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Networked Storage White Papers | Webcasts