SAP's HANA in-memory analytics engine now available
IDG News Service - SAP's HANA (high performance analytic appliance) in-memory computing engine went into general availability on Monday, giving the vendor a flashy new weapon against the likes of Oracle's Exadata data-processing machine and others in a highly competitive market.
HANA, which is based on a superset of technologies SAP has been developing for some time, places data in main memory, providing a performance boost over reading it off disks. With HANA, customers will be able to analyze data from their SAP systems and other sources in near-real time, with blazing performance, according to SAP.
SAP has seen an "extraordinary response from the marketplace," with several dozen customers already signed up, said executive board member Vishal Sikka in an interview. The HANA "pipeline," or backlog of deals in process, is the highest for any product in the company's history.
Only "very serious" opportunities are put in the pipeline, he added. "It's not like we had a [single] conversation with someone."
Wholesale wine and spirits distributor Charmer-Sunbelt Group is in the middle of implementing HANA, CIO Paul Fipps said in an interview.
The company had already been using a range of SAP technologies, but until now, not its BI (business intelligence) products, Fipps said. "When HANA was first introduced it looked like a real opportunity for us to do real-time analysis of business transactions."
CSG has many warehouses around the US. "There's a lot of nighttime activity going on there in order to get products to our customers," he said.
HANA will help CSG give managers analytics to make those operations run more efficiently, according to Fipps, answering questions such as "where am I putting my labor, do I have the right amount of labor in the right areas to do the replenishment?"
HANA will also help CSG roll up various analyses into a "massive" operational benchmarking report, allowing executives to make warehouse-to-warehouse comparisons, for example. Such reports now take a month to produce, "and we're going to get it down to every single night," he said.
CSG is also looking to pull data from its SAP ERP (enterprise resource planning) system for tasks like deep analysis of profitability.
Fipps declined to describe the query performance CSG is getting from HANA. "We're not there yet in terms of true metrics." But he says a friend who is further along on a HANA project has told him the performance is "unbelievable."
HANA does feel like the new product that it is, but not unexpectedly, he said. "We went into this with eyes wide open. We knew we were going to hit the bumps." Overall, the project is well-staffed and "everybody is looking for a big win," he said.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Applications White Papers |