Facebook reportedly readying iPad app ... finally
Social network's first dedicated app for Apple's iPad will arrive more than a year after the tablet was unveiled
Computerworld - The Internet is abuzz with reports that Facebook will finally come out with a dedicated iPad app.
According to a report in the New York Times that cites unnamed sources, the world's largest social network is preparing to release a free app that's optimized for Apple's iPad tablet.
The app is said to enable users to shoot and upload photos and videos to Facebook directly from the iPad's built-in cameras. According to the blog posted on the newspaper's Web site last night, the app has "been in production" for about a year, and is now going through "the final stages of testing."
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, said the reason for the delay in offering a stong iPad app is unclear.
"It could be a 'there aren't any other [iPad app] options so why bother' attitude," he added. "Facebook has had an app that could run on the iPad but it's lame. It wasn't developed for the iPad -- it's an iPhone app running on the iPad. There is nothing iPad-unique about it."
Kerravala said the iPhone app doesn't take advantage of the larger size of the iPad's screen or its ease of use.
"I'm hoping the new app gives the ability to create a customized look and feel," he noted. "I'd like to see the screen used more smartly so you have the ability to do more on the same screen."
In a email to Computerworld, a Facebook spokesman said the company has "great relationship with Apple," and noted that the two companies worked together "to develop the very popular Facebook for iPhone application. With regards to a Facebook application for iPad, we have nothing to announce at this time, and don't comment on the development of future products."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts