Facebook reportedly readying iPad app ... finally
Social network's first dedicated app for Apple's iPad will arrive more than a year after the tablet was unveiled
Computerworld - The Internet is abuzz with reports that Facebook will finally come out with a dedicated iPad app.
According to a report in the New York Times that cites unnamed sources, the world's largest social network is preparing to release a free app that's optimized for Apple's iPad tablet.
The app is said to enable users to shoot and upload photos and videos to Facebook directly from the iPad's built-in cameras. According to the blog posted on the newspaper's Web site last night, the app has "been in production" for about a year, and is now going through "the final stages of testing."
Zeus Kerravala, an analyst with Yankee Group, said the reason for the delay in offering a stong iPad app is unclear.
"It could be a 'there aren't any other [iPad app] options so why bother' attitude," he added. "Facebook has had an app that could run on the iPad but it's lame. It wasn't developed for the iPad -- it's an iPhone app running on the iPad. There is nothing iPad-unique about it."
Kerravala said the iPhone app doesn't take advantage of the larger size of the iPad's screen or its ease of use.
"I'm hoping the new app gives the ability to create a customized look and feel," he noted. "I'd like to see the screen used more smartly so you have the ability to do more on the same screen."
In a email to Computerworld, a Facebook spokesman said the company has "great relationship with Apple," and noted that the two companies worked together "to develop the very popular Facebook for iPhone application. With regards to a Facebook application for iPad, we have nothing to announce at this time, and don't comment on the development of future products."
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- What is this "File Sync" Thing and Why Should I Care About It? All of a sudden, getting a file from your work laptop to your iPad became as simple as clicking "Save." So it's no...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- BYOP: How Mobile and Social Are Creating New User Personas The digital world of mobile + social creates new customer segments and behaviors. Companies need to reorient their customer interactions around these segments...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Why do you need an enterprise mobile platform? Today companies must offer great apps that run on a range of devices, and connect to an exploding set of backend data. Appcelerator...
- Technology for Everyone A Kansas school district modernizes teaching and learning and paves the way to a one-to-one program with a comprehensive upgrade of its wireless... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts