Google live streams lunar eclipse
Don't worry about missing the eclipse today. Google will help you catch it
Computerworld - Afraid you're going to miss today's lunar eclipse? Google has a solution for you.
Google announced Wednesday that it's working with Slooh Space Camera to live stream today's lunar eclipse, which is only visible to people in Europe, Africa, Central Asia and Australia. Slooh Space Camera is an online astronomy platform with a robotic telescope service
"We're always fascinated by the unique wonders of space and the world -- what can we say, it's the geek in us!" wrote Noel Gorelick, Google's technical lead in Special Projects, in a blog post. "Naturally, when we learned that part of the world will be treated to a rare 100-minute long total lunar eclipse starting at 11:20am PDT today, we were both excited and disappointed that this rare occasion wouldn't be visible from our Mountain View campus like last year's eclipse."
Figuring that others would be disappointed as well, Gorelick said Google decided to live stream the event around the world.
Google also will have astronomers giving live narrations of the event.
Today's lunar eclipse is the first of two expected this year. The second one is predicted for Dec. 10.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!